Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
should i strip my damasoni, that is in a breeder net right now? she's freaking out in there, but i still havent set up a separate tank for them yet.

·
Registered
847 Posts
A few questions first. How long has she been holding? What size tank is she in and what are the other fish in there? What do you mean by "she's freaking out in there"? If you just moved her from a spacious tank into this little breeder net, she may need a little time to re-adjust. Plus if she's in a breeder net in the main tank, chances are other fish may still be harassing her. Not knowing anymore, I'd suggest either setting up a 10G for her to hold and spit into OR just leaving her in the main tank and hoping for the best. Obviously, moving her to another tank is optimal, but it depends on what your personal situation is. Good luck! :thumb:

:fish:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Super Turtleman said:
A few questions first. How long has she been holding? What size tank is she in and what are the other fish in there? What do you mean by "she's freaking out in there"? If you just moved her from a spacious tank into this little breeder net, she may need a little time to re-adjust. Plus if she's in a breeder net in the main tank, chances are other fish may still be harassing her. Not knowing anymore, I'd suggest either setting up a 10G for her to hold and spit into OR just leaving her in the main tank and hoping for the best. Obviously, moving her to another tank is optimal, but it depends on what your personal situation is. Good luck! :thumb:

:fish:
im not sure, but its been more than two maybe three weeks

150 gal with ~10 other demasoni, 10 socolofi, 4 red zebras, and 5 kenyi

UPDATE!!!
i just stripped her, well most of her, i got about 11 out. they still have egg sacks but look more developed than the fry at two weeks from the article in the library.
im sure there are more, but i decided to leave them up to fate, and set the mother back into the tank.
so right now theyre in a net in the main tank. im gonna set up another tank tomorrow

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I don't have any experience with fry that small. Are they swimming at all? Maybe put an airstone under the breeder box. I'd get the other tank set up because I've heard that fry can get ate by other fish even through the net. From what I remember reading about dems (I've never had them) they aren't to bad about eating their own fry though. I'm not sure about the labs. Might be a nice snack for them. Maybe put gravel in the bottom of the net until you get the other tank set up. That might help some but also might hinder the bubbles from an airstone. Hope someone more experienced comes along to help you lol. Good luck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fogelhund said:
Just curious, why do you call her a widowed mother? Did the father die?
oh yeah, he was eaten last week.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well all the babies i striped are dead, left them in the main tank and the others ate them

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Sounds like you stripped her too early...

Did you only have one male?

G

·
Okay don't panic...I stripped my mother too early by accident, as in she spat 4 babies out due to the stress of me moving her from her tank to a maternity tank.

They still had their egg sacs and were just sort of 'hopping' from one place to another. The problem with an airstone under the breeder net is that the bubbles don't go through (on my breeder net anyway) and just make one big bubble underneath.

What I did was remove the main big plastic tube from my cleaning syphon, and with some rubber bands, wrapped netting material I ripped off a spare net I had.

I put the airstone underneath this...to ensure that they were kept in motion; a poor mans egg tumbler!

Couple weeks later and the mother spits out 16 fry, and the 4 I kept in the tumbler were fine, if not a bit larger than the rest.

G

·
Dewdrop said:
I've heard that fry can get ate by other fish even through the net.
This is absolutely true. I have seen it.

My wife came up with a great idea when i stripped my yellow lab. I put all the fry in a large hand-held net and put the hand-held net inside the breeder net. The adults could not get at the fry after that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts