Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my female Mbuna (I believe is a mixed species) will have been holding now for 5 weeks. A few days ago I noticed one fry had escaped and is free swimming in the 15gal tank I had moved her to 2 weeks ago. It doesn't have an egg sac left on it, so I'm assuming the remaining fry are at the same stage in her mouth and she is just being stubborn. I've never stripped a fish before. The past 2 times I've had a cichlid holding they seemed to release the fry way sooner than this female.

The plan is to leave her in there with the fry for roughly a week to feed her and get her strength back before putting her back into the main tank. But the longer she holds the worse off she is gonna be.

Im also worried that if I strip her and put her back in with the fry she will just suck them right back in.

·
Administrator
42,007 Posts
Welcome to Cichlid-forum!

I would let her spit in the tank since they are hybrid fry. If you keep them you would need to keep them in a separate tank so you will not accidentally sell any or give any away.

If you want to save them, remove the holding female to a cycled 20G Long tank until she spits. Then remove the female in 24 hours so she does not eat the fry.

I don't see any reason to strip.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts