Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I bought a 150 and I am setting it up as we speak.
I will be putting my 1 year old chocolate in the new tank but the rest is up in the air.

One thought was an oscar to go along with my chocolate... thoughts?

·
Registered
742 Posts
is a nice combination, in behavior and size!

Chocolates are amazing and they get along pretty well with oscars in my experience

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
will it be good that the chocolate is already large and more mature? will it decrease the likelihood of the oscar taking over? i have never had an oscar so im not sure about their behavior. dont want my guy to geat beat up.

·
Registered
153 Posts
i think they would be alright together,

Like Pepo said, iv heard of people having very good experiances with chocolates.

Could could always put in some dithers like giant danios which they then can try and chase, they wont catch them but its funny just watching my oscars try. They also clean up the mess when feeding. If you do make sure they are big enough from the start, they dont grow as quickly as oscars!

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TheFishGuy said:
You're going to want to find an oscar with a bit of size on it... atleast 3", not a small one inch juvie...
Why is that? I would have thought the opposite... smaller since they grow so fast.
Thank you for the tip.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
small oscars are not tough in any way shape or form. It's not until they reach a decent size of five inches when they could possibly show some "toughness".

They are very similar in temperment to your chocolate which is why they make good tank mates...

Oscars are not brutes in the cichlid world... In my opinion they are on the low end of the aggression scale...

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im sure...
One last question. Will an Oscar eat a full grown (4 inches) Brochis splendens? Keyhole?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts