Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have a 55g

I have a mix of Malawi's in there, most of which are male with only a few diffrent females.

I have noticed that my male red empress (which i know should be in a bigger tank - upgrading very soon) has started to want to breed and is storming the tank everytime he is frisky and the other females i have are all getting chased about by all the males which is a shame (i know this is probably due to there being only a few females.

Since i have mostly males would i be better off getting shot of the few females i have and just having an all male tank. As the aggression only gets quite bad when any of them are trying to breed. So if it was all male i would assume that the really bad aggression would stop. Is this right?

Anyway hope to get some replys and some good advice.

Oh by the way i am more intrested in a show tank than breeding anyway hence the reason for so little females i would like some people who have all male tanks to let me know how their fish get on together.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
ash01 said:
Since i have mostly males would i be better off getting shot of the few females i have and just having an all male tank. As the aggression only gets quite bad when any of them are trying to breed. So if it was all male i would assume that the really bad aggression would stop. Is this right?
Yes, eliminating females will cut down on the aggression, however, you won't want to have two males that look overly similar to each other.

Not sure anything will calm the red empress down, but it's worth a try!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts