Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an three inch Melanochromis Auratus that hasnt ate in ten days. for the last six he has been laying on the bottom at an angle. He is still alive however. very labored breathing. I only have one tank, so I cant remove him. Should I leave him til hes gone or remove him now? Also I have no idea what is wrong with him.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Can you give us a little more info? Are there other fish in the tank with him? What species and how many? Any aggression between the fish?

What are your water parameters? If you do a partial water change is there any change in the Auratus's symptoms? What led up to his present condition?

If you can't remove him then you might put him in a breeder net inside the tank.

In the meantime I would do daily partial water changes using a good quality dechlorinator and siphon the gravel. It will be good for the sick fish and may help protect any fish in the tank with him

Robin

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well thanks for the advice every one but it was to late. He didnt make it. Sorry for the lack of info. I was in a bit of a rush that day. I would still like to figure out what caused the fishes end. I have a 120 gallon aquarium. I keep it between 78 and 80 degrees. Nitrates bout 5 ppm. Nitrites 0 ppm. Water hardness 300 ppm. Chlorine 0 ppm. KH 200-275 ppm. PH 8.5. The fish showed no sign of any sickness. color was fine no marks or swelling. He was fine one day then uninterested infood the next. Later he layed on bottom with labored breath. then on his side for the last day. I want to get some photos on soon but my camera took a dip in the river on a canoe trip so it may be a while.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
The only symptom is not eating so it will be hard to tell now. Bloat maybe.

What are the dimensions of the 120G and what were his tank mates?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts