Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 90 gallon tank. i found it in the local swap sheet and they guy i bought it from had 6 fish in it
-3 midas (i would guess them to be about 3lbs and around 8-10 inches)
-2 jack dempsey (around 7 inches)
-and some breed of catfish that hides under my rock decor (5 or 6 inches)

i had no idea when i went to get the tank how large or what breed they would be so i brought my biggest cooler(probably 4ft in length) and kept them in there for the drive home and while setting up the tank. unfortunately i lost one of the midas in the process but the rest are doing just fine at the moment.

they all look great, but i did my research since i have not had these breeds before and i feel terrible knowing they need more space, but they are kind of old (almost 8 years) and im wondering if they will be alright since they have been living in that tank their entire life

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I know some people will say you need a larger tank. It's definitely overstocked. I'm shocked the Midas haven't slaughtered the JDs/each other. My RD/Midas would have--she's a single lady. But if they all get along and you have adequate filtration, I would probably feel OK keeping it as is. The Midas are probably either female or slightly stunted, which won't get any better if they have been there that long. If you have the opportunity to move fish out I would take the JDs out first and just leave the 2 Midas and catfish in.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Midas are cool, my brother and I picked up a breeding pair a few weeks back for his store. The male is about 10 inches, female about 7 inches. I find the aggression of Jacks may become a problem but it may not. If they all get along it can very much work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the biggest midas is short tempered towards the other fish lately I think its just upset that its friend died... poor guy

but their such characters. there almost like dogs. I can put my hand in there and they'll come up and want their backs scratched haha

·
Banned
4 Posts
allierw said:
I know some people will say you need a larger tank. It's definitely overstocked. I'm shocked the Midas haven't slaughtered the JDs/each other. My RD/Midas would have--she's a single lady. But if they all get along and you have adequate filtration, I would probably feel OK keeping it as is. The Midas are probably either female or slightly stunted, which won't get any better if they have been there that long. If you have the opportunity to move fish out I would take the JDs out first and just leave the 2 Midas and catfish in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts