Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I added 9 african cichlids to my 75 g tank, before i added them my parameters were:

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

nitrate 20

Ph 8.4

12 hrs After adding them

Ammonia 0.25-0.5 (color kinda misleading)

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 20

Ph 8.4

My 75 gallon has been running for about 4 months and cycled (using fish plus filter media from my4 year old established tank)

Should i do a partial water change now and test again tomorrow? Or test again then do a wc pending the results?

Thank you
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,854 Posts
How many fish total are in this tank including approximate fish sizes?

A water change shouldn't hurt anything, the ammonia increase could be the result of different factors. Just remember to add your dechlorinator to the fresh water added.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Deeda said:
How many fish total are in this tank including approximate fish sizes?

A water change shouldn't hurt anything, the ammonia increase could be the result of different factors. Just remember to add your dechlorinator to the fresh water added.
I did a 20% wc theres 10 fish total so far

1 6-7 in 4 line catfish

3 elongatus chewere (2-2.5")

3 red top hongi (1.5-2")

3 blue zebra (2.5")

Im on a well but i always use dechlorinator because i had a bad experience with chlorine once lol
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,854 Posts
Sounds good!

Technically if the well is yours and is not treated with a disinfectant, you shouldn't need to add a dechlorinator but I do understand the reason. I also have a private well and still add a very minor dose of dechlorinator.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Deeda said:
Sounds good!

Technically if the well is yours and is not treated with a disinfectant, you shouldn't need to add a dechlorinator but I do understand the reason. I also have a private well and still add a very minor dose of dechlorinator.
Im gonna test the ammonia again in a couple hours and go from there. Thanks for your help
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,854 Posts
You are very welcome!

Just be sure you follow the test kit instructions exactly in case you are new to testing. Sometimes we all make testing mistakes, usually related to number of drops, time or even cleaning the test tubes and lids before and after use and letting them dry. One fish forum I belong to recommends using DI (de-ionized) water to rinse any leftover residue from the test tubes.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
40,508 Posts
How many fish were in the tank for the first four months before you added the 9 new fish?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
40,508 Posts
I think you may have lost some of the beneficial bacteria between the first 2 months when you did the cycle, and the second 2 months when the tank had only 1 fish in it.

If you add the full stocking immediately after cycling with ammonia, you should be OK. But two months with only one fish the bacteria adjusted downward to the bioload in the tank.

When you are trying to add fish over time, I think it works best never to add more than double what you have in there already.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DJRansome said:
I think you may have lost some of the beneficial bacteria between the first 2 months when you did the cycle, and the second 2 months when the tank had only 1 fish in it.

If you add the full stocking immediately after cycling with ammonia, you should be OK. But two months with only one fish the bacteria adjusted downward to the bioload in the tank.

When you are trying to add fish over time, I think it works best never to add more than double what you have in there already.
I never knew this, whats my best option?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
40,508 Posts
See how it goes with the water changes and test daily for ammonia and nitrite.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top