Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process of setting up my 90g (just started the fishless cycle). Just got my filters set up last night. It's an Mbuna tank and will be pretty crowded.

I have an Eheim Pro 3 2075 as my primary filtration and a Penguin 350B as my secondary. The Penguin obviously has it's two filter pads with carbon, plus the bio wheels.

The Eheim has 4 trays, I believe two with Ehfisubstrat pro and two with Ehfimech pro, which is what it came with. Should I even bother adding carbon to it or is it unnecessary?

I've read that chemical/carbon filtration can be a bit overrated. Even if it's not, I already have some going in the Penguin. Just wondering if it's something I should look into.

EDIT - also, while I'm at it, I may as well ask this here. What's my best bet with regard to placing the filters to get the best circulation possible?

I'm running my canister through a Hydor in-line heater too, so temperature might be an issue.

Right now, I have the spray bar mounted on the top right side of the tank. The HOB filter is on the right side, toward the center of the tank. The canister intake is presently to the left toward the center (only because I need to buy more tubing).

·
Registered
464 Posts
I would say no, you don't need it in your Canister.

I like to Run carbon but I just do it in my AC not in my Canister..

·
Registered
705 Posts
carbon is your own preference. also with the hydor in line heater i highly suggest you over do it rather then under. *** had issues when not getting more watts then u actually need. other then that i speak wonders about em. never have to worry about turning anything off for water changes i love it!!!

side note: carbon will "polish" the water and remove organic and inorganic compounds from the water column. it is rumored as to how long exactly the carbon remains useful. GL in your decision

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Carbon is a media that has very tiny little holes. As such it does a good job on really,really fine stuff, medicine and odors. But with these tiny holes comes the downside. These tiny holes stop up real easy and in many tanks don't last but a week or so. If you want what the carbon does, it may be worth running but many don't like that much maintenance and only use carbon when they have special need for it like after using meds. I don't use it normally, too much trouble. For circulation each tank will be different bacause of the different things we have in the way of the water flow. I judge my circulation by watching bits of food, etc. to see if there are spots where the food or waste just drop down and lie there. If I have dead spots, I move things around to get that spot moving. Sometimes it requires adding more powerheads or other things to get it moving. I like big logs and rocks and they create dead areas behind and around them. Never perfect, though.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
As someone mentioned carbon is useless unless removing meds from your tank. It only lasts a week or two. I have never heard of carbon polishing water however. It absorbs chemicals and organics that you can't see. Anything that polishes water such as filter floss or pillow stuffing will actually remove tiny particles in the water that is visible. Carbon will not do that. It's not marketed as a water polisher.

Again, its pretty useless unless you medicated your tank and want to remove meds after treatment. Save your money and use more Bio media.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Purigen is like a freshwater skimmer. Removes organics before they need to be broken down by biofiltration. Some say it clarifies the water also. I'll be interested to see how it works out for you. Let us know.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've used carbon and Purigen in my tanks before. Stopped using both. Carbon for reasons stated above. Purigen is white TINY balls that turn from white to yellow/brown with use. It needs to be reactivated occasionally. I usually waited until the bag turned a light brown, soaked in bleach/water mixture overnight, then soaked in prime/water for two more nights. If it passed the sniff test, it went back in my sump. I stopped using it also. I find the best additive for any of my tanks is fresh water. Weekly WC's and life is good.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, all. Easy enough. :D Don't really need it so I'll just leave it to the cartridges in the HOB.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts