Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took delivery on my new Fluval FX5, took it out of the box, put it up on the counter and plugged it in just to make sure the motor works. Makes a bit of a grumbling sound. I've read how quiet these things are. Is it because I'm running it without media & water or should this thing be quiet regardless?

·
Registered
66 Posts
You shouldn't run a canister or mostly any filter without water. You will cause damage to the impeller assembly. While I cannot attest to the Fluvial, I'm pretty sure when you have everything installed, then the noise will be less than the noise when dry.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
Magnetic drive pumps as they are used in most aquarium filters, make an ungodly racket if you run them dry. The impeller assembly is lubricated and cooled by water. As ZackG stated, if you run the filter for any length of time without water, it will be irreparably damaged. Once it is damaged, the filter will also be noisy when running with water. In short, you really want to have water in the filter the next time you plug it in. I am sure the manual would give the same advice!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, the manual says not to turn it on without water. :D Just wanted to make sure it worked. Ran it twice for maybe 10 seconds. I'll reevaluate once we get 'er hooked up!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
If the manual says "don't do X" ... I would highly recommend NOT DOING X.

You can break that nice new expensive filter.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
WaWaZat said:
Yeah, the manual says not to turn it on without water. :D Just wanted to make sure it worked. Ran it twice for maybe 10 seconds. I'll reevaluate once we get 'er hooked up!
Guess how I know these filters are loud when running without water :lol:

A few seconds is fine, but don't do it again

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Still just fill it up with water. Close the valves and turn it on.

You won't see anything happen but you'll know if it's moving.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
My Fluval make no nosie. But why would you test it without water.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts