Cichlid Fish Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
The answer is: they eat the fry immediately. Any left the next day are likely to be ignored. It is not as black/white as that, but trying to make the point.

It is likely some of the attraction when they are first spit is the frenzy and the inability of the fry to hide. The adults lose interest quickly. Remember they are not really predator fish.

He will come out and they will ignore him...eventually.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
DJRansome said:
The answer is: they eat the fry immediately. Any left the next day are likely to be ignored. It is not as black/white as that, but trying to make the point.

It is likely some of the attraction when they are first spit is the frenzy and the inability of the fry to hide. The adults lose interest quickly. Remember they are not really predator fish.

He will come out and they will ignore him...eventually.
OK. Thanks for that explanation! I think this is the first time I've heard about the distinction between those that get eaten immediately and those that survive a few days.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My Mbuna Will. Not. Stop. Breeding!! I occasionally see a baby that has survived but then they disappear.

The first few times they seemed to hold for 2-3 weeks but now they've gotten better at it they seem to hold onto the fry longer, and their chins are bigger too hahah. It's so cool when you can see the little fry looking out of mum's mouth. I can sometimes see their eyes through the mother's cheeks when they are big enough.

It seems as soon as one spits them out, a different female is then holding. I don't know how I don't get any survivors tbh as there's 6 females breeding all the time. Each female usually has more eggs again within a few weeks of letting the previous batch go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Livvie15 said:
My Mbuna Will. Not. Stop. Breeding!! I occasionally see a baby that has survived but then they disappear.

The first few times they seemed to hold for 2-3 weeks but now they've gotten better at it they seem to hold onto the fry longer, and their chins are bigger too hahah. It's so cool when you can see the little fry looking out of mum's mouth. I can sometimes see their eyes through the mother's cheeks when they are big enough.

It seems as soon as one spits them out, a different female is then holding. I don't know how I don't get any survivors tbh as there's 6 females breeding all the time. Each female usually has more eggs again within a few weeks of letting the previous batch go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Which species do you have?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Do females always spit all their fry at one time? Or might they spit a couple today, a couple more tomorrow, and so on?

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
IME one/two usually escape first, but when she spits she spits them all.

The female can take the entire brood back in her mouth when threatened initially, but I have not personally experienced this.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
DJRansome said:
IME one/two usually escape first, but when she spits she spits them all.

The female can take the entire brood back in her mouth when threatened initially, but I have not personally experienced this.
Well, here's what happened. As previously discussed, I had been watching 1 baby for several days last week. But then it disappeared and I didn't see it for a few days, so I assumed it finally got eaten. Meanwhile, I have a 2nd holding female that's getting ready to spit. Tonight I saw two babies. I don't know if they are new ones that just "escaped" from the 2nd holding female as you described, or if they are more survivors from the earlier brood.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts