Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 30 gallon tank with four J. Regani Kipli. They are about 1.5-2" or so. If I put some Shellies in there will it be a problem? I've never kept them before. I've read that they are pretty much peaceful, but like any other cichlid I know better. I was just thinking of adding a few shellies not a lot. I was kind of leaning toward Telmatochromis bifrenatus as they look interesting for me. Thanks

·
Registered
452 Posts
I agree 100% with renegade !! I'd steer clear of Telmats in that size of a tank. Brevis, Occies, Multies, or even caudopunks, would be a better choice.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
To be honest in that size tank I would have gone for a smaller Julie if intending to mix em.
Though I found J.regani (Kipili) to be pretty mild (to other fish) they still get to 5".

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
renegade545 said:
I personally would recommend staying away from the telmatochromis genus for this setup. I would however recommend some of the smaller species like Neolamprologus brevis, occelatus, multifasciatus, etc.
Thank you I'll definitely go that way instead. May I ask why I should stay clear of the telmatochromis? Just out of curiosity.

·
Registered
452 Posts
wsa88 said:
Thank you I'll definitely go that way instead. May I ask why I should stay clear of the telmatochromis? Just out of curiosity.
IME,

Adults don't get along well with others... And in that limited space, you will be asking for trouble. I keep mine on their own, although the fry get along well with everybody. 2 inch juvies start to stake out territory, and then the slaughter begins.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts