Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can Julies and Shellies mix in a ten together?
Yes422.22%
No1477.78%

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was wondering if these two were alright together. I have a pair of neolamprologus brevis in a ten, and I was wondering if I could put my female Julidochromis Ornatus and her one fry in with them on the other side of the tank. My Julies like to stick to the corner I put their little caves in and my shellies stay where they buried their shell, so I was wondering before I brought the Julies to college (300 miles away) if they would be good tank mates?

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I wouldn't try it without a backup plan. The tank footprint is too small for any of fish to get an attitude, and it doesn't sound like you'd have a spare tank to fix it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My friend has a spare 5 I can use if that happens, so as long as I have a backup tank I should be set?

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
I have not heard of it being done successfuly with two pairs in a 10g tank.
10g is pretty small just for a pair of J.transcriptus. I can not imagine the open space of sand between the Julie cave and the brevis shell being enough to stop them fighting big time, if one or the other or worste still both breed just too little territory space I think.
I think fry eating would not be the main problem (Julies eat fry as do brevis but then they can look after others fry if they are looking after thier own). Simple survival might be.
Mind you, you might not be thinking of a pair of each. I could imagine a single J.transcriptus living with a pair of brevis in such a tank and keeping thier numbers in check.

All the best James

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I only have the female Julie, the male died while I was away and I was worried about the only baby dieing too because my mom doesn't always remember to come in my room to feed them, but the pair of Brevis i have I'm pretty sure should have fry by the time I get back to my room.

My Brevis tolerate my female sword and my four Platty's alright, so they are used to other fish. If the Julie and Shellies can get along I'll be taking the Plattys and sword out to give everyone more room. I was thinking a tank separator would work to introduce the Julie female and her 1 fry to the 1 pair of Brevis I have but I can't find one anywhere.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
One pair of brevis in a 10G would be great. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I am trying this in a 20L, so far so good, but only 2 of each.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, so what i did was set up a tank right next to the ten where my Shellies have their shell, and my julie got put in the 1 gallon next to them. it went kinda bad, so I moved the julie back and now the fish can see eachother. I plan to introduce the female julie into the tank with 1 pair of shellies and 3 plattys slowly, and so far so good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts