Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i recently, found one of my old fish tanks smaller one its 15 gallons.
I was thinking of breeding cons in it, because some people have said cons do well in a 15, but than i did some research, and i'll just wait a couple months until i have a 20gl for them.

So basically i'm not looking for anything extreme, a pair of fish works just fine. What would be a pair of shellies i could put in my 15 gallon, that do well with beginners? because i have had some cichlids be for and currently do, BUT never have had shellies, nor fish that require 8+ ph.

So i read that using crushed coral as a bottom will raise my PH, my tap water is in the high sevens...so would just the crushed coral be fine? or would i need a bottle of some kind of +ph
Could anyone give me the cost of what this will run me?
Now what would be a pair of shellies that are easy to breed?/ keep in general (i have a 8 gallon tank i can use for the fry)

·
Registered
656 Posts
You can pull off pretty much any shellie you like in a 15. Brevis and Multies are easy to breed. I recommend aragonite sand or cichlid sand, either of these will take care of your ph. don't mess with those ph additives. You already have the tank, so you need a filter ( HOB or sponge ), a heater, a bag of sand , and fish. I can show you my brevis tank that was set up for around $130 for everything including fish

·
Super Moderator
40,482 Posts
High sevens...like 7.8 or above...is fine for Tangs.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have found the toughest part is finding good looking shells. I went on line to a place specializing in shells and they have a $50 minimum order for a first time customer.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Get escargot's at Marky's.

The one thing I've found with brevis, and I've had many in many different tanks, is that they can foul and blacken sand quicker than any cichlid I've ever seen. That's the only compaint I have against them, otherwise 2-3 pairs would go great in your tank. Just be ready to keep the sand stirred.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts