Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving 2 Alto Comps (unsexed juvies) into a new 20L tank and my plan is to add 6 Multies to start a colony.
From reading this board, the 2 species should be compatible, but aren't the Comps just going to eat all the Multi fry as soon as they appear, ruining the hopes of a colony? Will a separate 10gal grow out tank be necessary(if I can snatch the fry before the Comps do)? I value your experience and suggestions here. I need to have a better idea of what to expect before I do this.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Best not to have predator and prey (young multies) in the same tank if you want a increasing multie colony. You can help em a bit by putting a pile of shells over a pile of broken slate covered in sand. They will dig out the slate caves and maybe raise some young there but as the young wander to make new groups they still can get eaten.
But it is kind of a choice, a community tank with a little breeding interest or a breeding tank.
Breeding tanks do not generaly have many fry predators in them. :wink:

All the best James

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But it is kind of a choice, a community tank with a little breeding interest or a breeding tank.

You're right on the money James. Community vs. breeding tank is what it really boils down to.
And I'm really leaning more towards a community. But......who's to say I can't snatch a few shellie fry now and then before the Comps do, grow them out in another tank and reintroduce them back to the original tank later? I'd settle for that, being that I'd really like to have Comps in this tank with the Shellies. Thanks for your insight and common sense approach to this.

Regards.....Tom

·
Registered
73 Posts
From my experience, just moving my multis from a 20g to a 55g the generations of fry & juvies were all thrown off. What once was the dominate male in the tank is no longer and another male is now taking his females. Also all the juvies that were hanging out with the dominate male and his mates are now out trying to fend for them selves. I think raising the fry in a grow out tank wilt only make the males think of the other males as competition instead of their young.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cracks,

Very interesting.....and unexpected. Just moving your shellies to a bigger tank caused them to, in a sense, start over and establish a whole new pecking order. It's as if they forgot all their prior associations with each other so they started their relationships over from scratch....to a different outcome. Interesting. With that said, I see what you mean growing fry out in another tank then introducing them back later......it may really stir things up. Thanks for sharing....some good food for thought there.

Regards....Tom

·
Registered
482 Posts
could always move the whole colony from tank to tank but that might turn into more of a hassle then needs be..in theory pecking order would never change just the tanks but that might also stress them out alot but it is an idea

·
Registered
73 Posts
i read somewhere, after i had made the tank swap, that they are more associated with thier shells. that could have been the problem as well due to the fact i had all the shells in a 5 gallon bucket of water.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts