Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, which do you prefer-Lamprologus meleagris or Neolamprologus multifasciatus? Next, I have a quick question about them in general...Is it possible for me to keep 2-3 of them (with shells) in a 20 gallon fry growout tank? I have some Malawi and Victorian fry that are about 1/3-1/2 an inch. :fish:

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
It isn't a long-term solution, but over the short-term it could work. I prefer the multifasciatus, due to more interesting colonizing behaviour. The multis have familys, and the fry stay and grow with the group. The melegaris are limited to defending the fry in the shell, until they are free swimming... then they are on their own.

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
Won't the Malawi/Vic fry eat the shellie fry?

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
DJRansome said:
Won't the Malawi/Vic fry eat the shellie fry?
Yes they will... which is why I called it something that could work out for a short period, but wasn't a long term solution.

Long-term they need a tank of their own.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Lamprologus meleagris or Neolamprologus multifasciatus

I have both. I love the behavior of the meleagris defending their shells, but the way that the multies will have a million babies and they all live together in harmony is awesome. So if you want to see the generations living together I would go with the Multies, but if you want the one that is more fun to watch the individual behavior then I would go with the meleagris

Also, would go with the multis if you want to be able to raise and sell the fry, they are a whole lot easier to get to selling size.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts