Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi since Iam setting up a 100 gal this weekend I have decided to turn my 50 gal into a shell dweller tank is there any that can live together or should I stick to one kind and how many can I add to a 50. Thanks once I know if I can mix them or not I will go research what they need etc. Thanks Pat :fish:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Give us the floor space dimensions for your 50 gal.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Jacob_valleau said:
do an all-multie tank. that would be sweet. and maybe you can put a pair of juilies in there.
Yeah, I think a small contingent of a competing species will really bring out more interesting behaviours. My multi tank is only going to be 29gal (30x12 footprint) but I'm planning to have a rockpile in the corner and some sort of competitor to keep the multi's on their toes ;).

Of course, in a 50 I suspect he could have several rockpiles for several rockdwellers and still have a humongous shellbed.

-Rick (the armchair aquarist)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Most people recommend only 1 type of shelldweller in a tank. I think if you mixed them up eventually you would have casualties and only have 1 type anyways. 55 is a great sized tank for a multi colony. I started with 8 (from 3 different strains) and now have somewhere between 40 and 50. I also have 4 black calvus in the tank and am planning on getting about a dozen non jumbo cyps to fill out the top portion of the tank. Makes for a really interesting tank.

·
Registered
97 Posts
hey cowboy what 3 strains of multi did you start out with and how many are known to exist and available for aquarium use(sorry if this is a dumb question i am a n00b)

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Mustang Boy said:
hey cowboy what 3 strains of multi did you start out with and how many are known to exist and available for aquarium use(sorry if this is a dumb question i am a n00b)
I'm guessing by "strains" he means they're not related, coming from different vendors and/or different genetic lines. As far as I know there aren't "local" varients of N. Multi like there are some of the other Tangs (though I have seen wildcaught N. Multi with a collection point listed, but I'm not sure I've ever seen that with a tankbred one).

-Rick (the armchair aquarist, who likes the idea of a 4'long multi/rockdweller/cyprichromis tank)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts