Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a group of about 6 multi's or similis for my regular 20 gallon tank. It's set up and in the process of cycling right now and there's no rush to get fish.

The tank will be used to (hopefully) breed these shell dwellers and house some mbuna fry. I'm planning on only keeping a few from each brood of the malawi's as to avoid crowding the tank.
I want to keep another tang species here as well, maybe an Alto. comp. shell dweller or some other small open swimming fish to keep the upper levels of the tank alive. Any suggestions???

It has sand, some white and black rock with a rock pile, small piece of driftwood, and plants, java fern and vals. I'll try to get pics and dimensions tomorrow for a little help.

But if anyone has any suggestions for keeping another smaller (around 3") tang species in this tank in a group of say 4? it would be much appreciated.
I'm just getting into tangs, so additional advice is always welcome,
Thanks

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I think you are going to be limited to the shellies and the fry. You could consider some non-cichlid dithers, but anything else will cause territory disputes and/or fry predation. The tank is too small for any open water cichlids (cyps, paracyps, eg) but perhaps some harlequin raspboras or rosy barbs can "keep the upper levels of the tank alive" for you.

HTH :thumb:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! I was just wondering if any other tang species would work. I think I'll stick to a group of multis, 6-8?, and the other mbuna fry can take care of the upper levels.
For some reason I don't like dither fish, non-cichlid, so I'll just keep this one species for now.

Oh, if I get a large group, like 6-8, will I have to weed out the males like mbuna or will they be ok. If I do have to, can I vent them the same way as mbuna?

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
Aren't your mbuna fry going to eat the shellie fry? I've heard of problems mixing mbuna fry even a couple of weeks older with old fry eating new fry.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well lets hope they don't eat too many. :lol: I just want to see the cichlids raise the fry, if not all of them make it, it won't matter. I'm just interested in trading them in to the LFS or distributing them to friends. Plus the shellies will be in their shells, hopefully where the mbuna won't be searching.

So I'm guessing the Alto. comps will not work in this tank. I really like them but haven't seen them anywhere. The guy I want to order from actually has similis so I'll go with them instead of the multis. The guy will vent them for me so that I can get a good ratio with only 1-2 males.

Thanks for all the help, just need to get some more shells now :?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts