Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what is thought of changing some of the species in this simple 20 gallon cookie cutter tank?

• 'Lamprologus' brevis - 1 pair
• 'Lamprologus' stappersii - trio
• Ancistrus temminckii "Bristlenose Pleco" - 1

Suppose you substitute the L. stappersii trio for a L. ocelatus trio? Do L. brevis and L. ocelatus not get along? Would another shell dweller be a better choice?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Mixing shell dwellers can be tricky, and isn't commonly done. But, if you had an established brevis pair and could just place their shell in a corner, I could see working in occelatus, etc. But, if this is your first tang tank, I think I'd suggest going with one shelllie and one small rock dweller like j. transcriptus or ornatus. If you were going to start with a handful of juvies, seems to me it'd be pretty chaotic in the early going as two shellie species competed for shells. It might eventually sort itself out, but I would only recommend it to someone with some experience with these fish. Of course, I don't know your experience level or how set you are on keeping two shellies together.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a Tang community tank might be a better bet then? Competition directed into other strata? As far as African Cichlids I have not had any before besides Kribensis. I have also had tanks with Convicts, Firemouths, Geos, Rams and Jack Dempseys. I know these small tanks can be tricky so I want to just nail it.

This Cookie Cutter might be a better solution then?
• Julidochromis regani - 1 pair
• Neolamprologus leleupi - 1 pair
• 'Lamprologus occelatus- 1 trio

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
:roll: The cookies cutters may not be the best source of information... in fact I think some of them are recipes for disaster, the last one you listed being a prime example. :wink:

Occies are a great fit for a 20 gallon, and they can share the space with one more Tang cichlid species that won't compete for the shells. Both leleupi and regani can kill shellies, and in general get too large to share territory in a 20 gallon. Good species choices for occie tank mates are the smaller julies (transcriptus, ornatus), altos (comps or calvus) or L. caudopunks. You can throw in a small pleco for any of these combos.

A potential stocking list:
5 L. occelatus
5 J. transcriptus (to get a pair, then remove the extras).
1 Ancsistrus spp.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
What triscuit said. :thumb: I shook my head at that same cookie cutter. I'd give it very little chance for success.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Triscuit that makes much more sense. Thanks! I was wondering how a social equilibrium could be attained in such a small space with three separate species. Especially since the leleupi and regani have the taste for shell dwellers. Cool this really gives me good direction :thumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts