Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I had an empty 30 gallon aquarium burning a hole in my pocket so I decided to setup a shell dweller aquarium. After some research it seemed that most people use escargot shells so I went that route. However, these shells that I purchased float.
Is this normal? Does soaking the shells stop them from floating? Anyone speak from experience with this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Pondscummy said:
Hello,

I had an empty 30 gallon aquarium burning a hole in my pocket so I decided to setup a shell dweller aquarium. After some research it seemed that most people use escargot shells so I went that route. However, these shells that I purchased float.
Is this normal? Does soaking the shells stop them from floating? Anyone speak from experience with this?

Thanks.
Have you submerged them with your hand and then rotated ... to get the trapped air out ?

·
Super Moderator
40,889 Posts
I've never heard of a floating shell. I too would have suggesting getting the air bubbles out.

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Definitely need to rotate them underwater to release all the air. Some take a bit of time. I also boil all new shells, including the escargot that are sold to serve snails in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts