Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of going to the Shedd aquarium after we get back from Florida soon. I wondered if anyone has been there very recently? If so how about some pics of the cichlids and others. I did find some older post on here with negative reviews of it, but wondered if it has gotten any better? I'll still probably go if it doesn't have any good cichlid displays, but don't want to waste the time and money if the whole aquarium stinks. Thanks for any updated pics and info you can offer.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I was just there not too long ago and will post some pics if i remember later. The place is really neat! The malawi tank is small tho. You will see alot of cool marine life. The linklin park zoo is just as good if not better. Their malawi tank is HUGE (i guessed 2000gal) and they have some really cool SA/CA stuff. The trip is well worth it but do not miss the zoo.

It cost us about $400 for the whole trip and we stayed 2 nights in a hotel that was $100/night near the airport. If you wanted to save alot of money you could easily go to the Shedd and the zoo in the same day. Especially if you only go for the aquatic and lizard stuff at the zoo.

We went on the 'free weekend' so the Shedd didn't cost anything. The zoo is always free i think.

Edit: Not to discourage you but after the whole trip I almost felt better just looking at my tank. When in a public place like that you dont see any of the wonderful character that our fish show in our home tanks. Makes me really appreciate my tank.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Wasn't it at the Shedd they had that big waist high open top Mbuna tank? I'm pretty sure that's where I saw it, but it's been a few years now, I guess they could have changed it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all, I will probably go anyway just to have a night away from the kids. Oh and so the wife can do her shopping on Michigan ave there too.

·
Registered
14,646 Posts
I found the New World and Old World displays to be pretty good but a bit on the small side.

What I was really disappointed with, was the reef tank right in the front. It's a massive tank with all sorts of fish, but all of the reef life is artificial. It's molded concrete that's painted the colours of a natural reef. There is no live rock, corals, sea worms, anemones or sponges. It has the potential to be an incredible sight, because the tank is so large, but it left me feeling a bit ripped off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.