Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm currently transitioning from mbuna to an all male malawi tank (mainly haps/peacocks) with some sprinkled in mbuna. I have a 6ft/125 And my stock list is for the most part complete. Of course it's "trial and error" to some degree but nevertheless it's definetly fun!

I'd like to hear what's worked/not worked for some of you in the past that have done these set ups! Share your tank/stock list and pics, help me get it all figured out lol

My current stock list is as follows...forgive me with the exact scientific names if I don't get them right
Haps
-Protomelus Sp. Steveni Msisi Imperial Tigress
-Protomelus Taeniolatus "Super Red Empress"
-Otopharynx Tetrastigma
-Cyno. Moori "Blue dolphin"
-Nimbochromis Venustus
-Copadichromis Red Fin Borleyi
-Placidochromis Electra "Deep water hap"
-Two Sciaenochromis Fryei "Iceberg"

Peacocks
-Undo Point "Blue Neon"
-Ngara Flametail
-Rubenscens Ruby Red
-OB
-2 Albino Dragons Blood (1 solid orange, 1 calico)
-Dragons Blood
-Sulpher head
-Jake otter or.
-Sunshine

Mbuna
-Cyno white top Hara
-Elongatus Chewere
-Red Zebra

What I've learned so far.......relatively speaking it's peaceful. My imperial Tigress is tank boss with no real second tank boss. Pecking order below him has yet to be established. The 3 mbuna are sub adult and always showing their colors and minding their own business, the sunshine peacock is growing extremely slow, unsure sex still on Venustus/Red Fin/Deep water hap due to size. Definetly enjoying the tank as they grow. I have 4-5 of them which are 5-6inches, the rest still are sub adult. Super Red is extremely wimpy lol doesnt hide or get picked on cause he's big but definitely colored down. My Blue dolphin is a boss for his size (2 inches) unsure of sex but with the fiesty attitude I'm leaning towards male.

Anyways, just wanted to share and hope I can hear from a few of you with similar tanks/set ups and stories!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Here's my 125 stocking. I jumped right into an all male tank when I start with cichlids probably 12 years ago. Started with a 65 gallon bowfront, then moved to the 125. It's been an ever changing line up, I hate to think about how many fish I've given away over the years. But here's my stocking now. Maybe a few too many, but a few of the smaller fish I'm still trying to determine sex, like the champsochromis.

Protomelas steveni
Protomelas taeniolatus
Protomelas tangerine tiger
Nimbochromis linni
Nimbochromis venustus
Champsochromis caeruleus
Rhampsochromis essox
Copadichromis azureus
Placidochromis Electra
Placidochromis phenochilus
Scianochromis fryeri
Dimidiochromis compressicep
Chilotilapia euchilus
Buccochromis nototaenia

Aul. Lwanda
Aul. Ruby red
Aul. Eureka red
Aul. Flavescent
Aul. Meleri
Aul. Ngara
O.b. peacock
Dragonblood peacock

Ps. Acei

Random oddballs
5 spotted silver dollars
Paratilapia polleni
Syno. Angelicus
Syno. Occelifer

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice James! Gotta share some pics of the tank and species! I'll have to take a few pics myself lol I hate figuring out the whole editing portion and trying to attach pics

·
Registered
165 Posts
I started off last August with 15 mixed gender fish in a 55g, but now only have seven fish in my all male 75g (1 mbuna, 2 haps, 4 peacocks); yellow lab, blue ahli, yellow blaze, lemon jake, blue neon, dragon blood, blue dragon blood.

It's been a trip to say the least. I've had to re-home a blue ahli, a blue dolphin and a sunshine peacock due to aggression issues, but I finally have a crew that tolerate each other. Of course, that could change overnight, so let's not speak above whisper level!

Anyway, I like this group. When I upgrade my aquarium, I'll probably keep my stock as is. Mostly because I've found that adding a single fish can upset the balance of the entire aquarium, but also because I've gotten to "know" these boys, and I would rather keep things as they are.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.