Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 2 yellow labs....i just noticed one has egg spots on the anal fin and the other one doesnt which is larger than the one that does.....can i assume i have a male and female or no?

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
coonie said:
i have 2 yellow labs....i just noticed one has egg spots on the anal fin and the other one doesnt which is larger than the one that does.....can i assume i have a male and female or no?
I agree with kevin, size and egg spots don't improve your chances of a male more than 50:50. :thumb:

·
Registered
74 Posts
venting is pretty easy, my lfs showed me how and it was easier than i expected. i wasnt sure i wanted to pick mine up with my hands but if your gentle and some what calm about it the fish dont seem to mind much

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
The process of venting is easy, determining what you are looking at is another story.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Its best to look at a known male and female before trying to vent unknown fish. Not sure if you have more fish but i learnt what to look for with saulosi. Just picked my dominate male and a female who had held. Also a 30x mag helps alot.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Ironically, my females tended to have egg spots more often than the males I had. So, don't depend on that. Sorry, but there's no real easy way (I don't think venting is easy--I get worried I'll injure my fish by picking them up). You just have to be gentle. Or you can do what I did, and wait to see who ends up holding (though you can't assume the ones who don't are males--they might just be more stubborn towards the male).

·
Registered
677 Posts
lovely pic Riceburner...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts