Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are two months into our American Cichlid tank and have some questions regarding sex differences. Our Texas and GT are a little over 3 inches long, and our Firemouths are around 2-3 inches long. We are curious as to the means by which we can distinguish- if at all- sexes at this stage.

We are curious, as one of our Texas cichlids has begun growing a hump, as well as developing a deep blue/black colouration on its underside around its mouth, extending to it's anal fin. It seems awfully small for it to be developing such changes, but it is also exhibiting some interesting behaviour towards the other Texas cichlid in the tank. It is chasing the other Texas cichlid around the tank a little, but not attacking it. The other Texas cichlid has not changed appearance at all. At times 'she' does not evade 'his' advances, but instead will stop for a brief period and they can appear quite close. The species of Texas cichlid that we have is a Carpintis, not a Cyanogutattus.

This has raised questions about our Green Texas', as well as our Firemouths and GT's (Rivulatus):

- Can we differentiate between sexes at this age in all or some of these fish?; and
- If not, how do we identify sexing when they're older and at what age/size is this possible?

We have done some extensive reading, but it is all very convoluted, so we wish to ask you guys for some accurate and knowledgable advice.

Thanks, Sidious.

PS We acknowledge that a GT is not a CA cichlid, but we figure we'd include it with the other two cichlids.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Texas females tend to have a dark spot about mid way down the dorsal fin. I've sexed Texas like this for a few years now and been 100% accurate to my knowledge. Might be some i got wrong and dont know about.

Not sure about FMs or GTs. All i know is that male GTs get MUCH bigger than the females. Hopefully someone else can help you more.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts