Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a female severum have long, flowing dorsal and anal fins? I think/thought this was a male trait.

To put it in context: 75 US gallon tank. Two 6" severums that are at most a year old (probably significantly younger than that by at least a month or two). One I am sure is a male, the other I *think* is also a male: blue squiggles on the face, long flowing fins (actually longer than the other that I'm sure is a male), but coloring is more "subdued".

I've witnessed the two doing the courtship "dance" several times, and liplocking once. The time they liplocked, both had fluffed out their pelvic fins, which had turned a very bold orange.

Last night they really went at it with the tail waggling, funny swimming, touching, etc. No lip locking, but very bold orange and extended pelvic fins. Far too friendly to be any sort of territorial dispute.

Could we possibly have a female?... or do we just have two wacky males? :lol:

Thanks!
-Ryan

·
Banned
1,079 Posts
See any vent tubes dropping out of the possible female? Is she fat with eggs? Cichlids usually don't bother with long term mating rituals unless the female is getting fat with eggs...you should see her tube drop distinctly...

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked, but no visible tubes... of course, I was a bit far away because I didn't want to stop the show. :)

I haven't checked for egg "fatness". Nothing obvious, though.\

Thanks!
-Ryan

·
Registered
98 Posts
My female severum definitely has long flowing fins. The squiggles that you refer to generally indicate a male. None of the female sevs that I've owned have these squiggles - only the males. My pair often liplocked, so don't assume that means you have two males. You'll know you have a female if it lays eggs! :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts