Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Everyone,

Is it possible to identify male juvenile peacock cichlids by behavior? Of course this is aimed at juvi males that has not yet colored up.

Can you assume that a peacock juvi with no color that digs his own hole and defends it or chases others like the "dominant" one or acts like males will turn out as males?

Have you seen any juvi's behave like this at first, then turn out to be a female?

·
Registered
71 Posts
In my experience, nope.

I recently got some A. Baenschi "benga" juveniles. 5 fish between 4 & 8 cms. Different parents. The 8 cm fish is a female (vented) and she digs her own holes under a rock. There's a 6 cm male coloring up. Has his blue face and the yellow is coming in on his body. He doesn't seem to dig. Likes his rocks. The other 3 are all 4-5 cms. No idea what sex they are yet but they all have a hole in the sand, all under rocks.

The only real telling sign is that the little male "thinks" he is a big boy and vigorously defends his rock pile with fins flared and a general bad demeanor :lol:

·
Super Moderator
40,890 Posts
My female peacocks are almost as aggressive as the male, there is definitely a dominant female and she is aggressive to all the others. If he is not trying to spawn she is more aggressive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts