Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have 3 alto. comps, I first purchased two a little over a year ago. One began to get larger than the other but nothing drastic. A few months later, my LFS still had some of the same morphs so I purchased a 3rd which was slightly smaller than my larger one. "He" immediately became dominant though slightly smaller and now has surpassed by about 1/2". He is about 3 1/2", my next down is about 3" and my smallest is 2.5" at most, all same age. My biggest and smallest are certainly male and female respectively.
My question is my middle sized a male or female? I suspect it could be a less dominant male or a large female. If it is a male, is there an issue with keeping with the other male?

Tank is 44p planted w alot of rock.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I have two large males and one smaller male along with five females that all do fine together. Once they knew the pecking order, all was ok. There's very little aggression even between the two big males. They can be seen near each other and one may give a nudge to the other, but it's so pathetically half-hearted that it's almost funny. These are one of the most docile cichlids I've ever kept. My females are four years old and aren't 3", so I'm guessing your middle one is a male. I'd just keep an eye on things.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
I have 7 Altolamp comp goldhead in a 48" x15" x15" tank. I have two definate males and they do go black and fight a bit but nothing worrying as yet. I think long term I may have to go down to just one male per tank but at the moment they are all living and growing well together.
Not sure thier is a rule worth sticking to with these guys think each group might be different.
I am about to remove two that are breeding together in the corner inc one of the definate males. May be a mistake, may be the best thing for em.

In your tank craziloki,........................

Kind of think it unlikely two males will share just one female so yep on average I would add to a group of three that has two males (trying to get more females) or remove one male but prob only when two actually spawn or one male is clearly unhappy.

Why not vent the unknown guy? Would it make much difference to what you are goimg to do next? If yes then vent for sure. If male yep I would add more females if you can. If female I would prob leave em hoping for a happy trio. At the moment my guess is the middle sized one is more likely to be a sub dom male but it is only a guess.

All the best James

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the replies..

I know they are all happy, and they are not showing aggression, but they aren't sexually mature either. This is my first attempt with cichlids, so I don't have the ideal tank. However, I made the best with what I had. It is a 44 pent, that I built the back corner all the way up with siliconed slate rocks to resemble a shelf. I have sand substrate, plants and 2 filters. A HOB Whisper 30-60, and Ehiem classic cannister 2219. Right now I have 3 callochromis stappersi (1m,2F, one is actually carrying right now!! :D ), 2m ocellatus( Mean buggers), 1 eretmodus cyanostictus, 1 synodontis, and the 3 a comps.
Do I have room for more a comps? I don't feel like I do...
What would be the advantage of another female in sub of the male besides aggression and/or spawning?

Thank you!

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Sorry I dunno what a 44 pent is. Is it a 44 gallon tank of some sort?
I guess yep wheather you could add more comps depends on the size of the tank but struggling to say anything useful as I dunno how long, wide and tall your tank is. :oops: :)
I would not rule out breeding at this size if old enough I have seen some comps as mothers at less than 3" :eek:

Re your holding callochromis stappersi dunno much about breeding these guys but think you prob need a brooding tank or big breeding net quick, if you want to raise young it would take a super mum to raise any in that mix. :)

All the best James

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My tank is a pentagon... It was given to me, and I didn't realize it was more suited for discus and angel. Too late now, and I have built the rock up high as too keep them throughout the column.
I can't add another large tank, for I have dragons as well, and my room is basically maxed on power consumption. so I got a 1.5g tetra tank w small heating pad. I dumped her mouth into that tank and got them all but one.. I put her back in the large tank before I realized this... I assume the little ones are ok by themselves, they still have yoke to eat.. But, I should get that last one or the whole purpose is defeated. I want to save her, not the fry. She is very very thin and I don't see her opening her mouth while they're there. But if they survive all the better..

I am correct so far? Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts