Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after watching my Lamprologus interact for a few days I am beginning to wonder about their sex. It seems I have 2 dominant males in the tank and possibly 4 subdominated (if that's a word :oops: ) fish. Does anyone have a good method for sexing these guys because I am worried that I received 6 males and that would be quite upsetting for me.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I could tell by size and some appearance indicators when full grown, but not until then. You'd have to vent and that wouldn't be easy on a small fish at least for me, I'm bad at it. Here are some pics. Males just have a beefier look to them and a bit duskier color.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hahaha yeah I guess I should have know that huh :oops: :p

I may have to wait till my puncs get a little larger before I can accurately sex them. Does anyone have any tips for sexing ocellatus? I am trying to do the same for them and have absolutely no idea how to do it. There also appear to be some subdominant (corrected) fish in that group also.

Thanks for the pics prov!

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Does anyone have any tips for sexing ocellatus?
Size and behavior as they grow out. Very hard to tell when young. Click on the pic for a slideshow of a male with juveniles. No pic of an adult female, but she'd look a lot like the juveniles in the pics only a bit larger. Interesting in that you can see how large the young get and are still accepted by the male.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts