Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to sex the orange head geos as 1" fry??? :lol:
When do they start getting that different fin shape or what should I look for??? or is it possible??? LFS will be getting in 1"ers and I may have to just look for size, shape and get a small group to start, really just want a pair. But is it best anyway to get say 4-6 so they can pair up.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Please read my post in your other thread to start with.

These fish are not a pair bond for life species. Not even when kept in aquariums. In the wild, a pair will form a bond and spawn and raise thier fry untill the juveniles are independant and do not require parental care any more. Then the pair will join the larger school and the bond will break. The male may well spawn with another female shortly after rejoining the school, while it may take the female a little while longer before she spawns again, and it will be with another male.

When kept in a "pair" situation, the male will constantly harrass (read beat up) the female untill she is ready to spawn. Becuase the female can not escape the male in an aquarium, the male can even kill the female due to the constant harrassment.

I experienced this in a 6 foot 150 gallon aquarium. I can not stress this enough, if you are not a very experienced hobbiest, with atleast a spare (empty) 40 gallon breeder that you can set up and remove the female to, it's not even worth trying.

I will make two other points.

1) This is not a hobby where you can think to yourself, "I'll give such and such a try, and if it doesn't work out in 3/6/12 months down the track, well I can always go and buy a larger tank, etc". Becuase in a few months you might find yourself in a position where you no longer have the couple of hundred dollars it takes to setup a new tank. If you are well off and have the spare cash, all well and good, but many people who get in to the hobby are students and scrap and save for every spare dollor to enjoy thier hobby.

2) Mate, this is a great hobby where you can learn from other peoples mistakes. But so many people take the attitude of "well they're just fish and they're cheap, if they die, I'll just buy new ones". At the end of the day, they're the people we do not want in the hobby. Now I am not suggesting you have this attitude.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Oops my bad, just had it pointed out you are considering a 75 gal instead. If that's the case buy 6 or 8 and grow them out untill they are sexable. Personally I prefer to pay the extra cost of buying 2 inch juvies, as at that size you can start to see which fish actually look good.

I originally bought 8 and ended up with only 1 female. I then (9 months later) traded some of my smaller males for a couple of more females.

·
Registered
162 Posts
DeadFishFloating said:
These fish are not a pair bond for life species. Not even when kept in aquariums. In the wild, a pair will form a bond and spawn and raise thier fry untill the juveniles are independant and do not require parental care any more. Then the pair will join the larger school and the bond will break. The male may well spawn with another female shortly after rejoining the school, while it may take the female a little while longer before she spawns again, and it will be with another male.
This is very interesting. Could you provide a reference of their behavior in the wild?

I saw this situation quite clearly with my Gymno. balzanii group. But with my OHs, the same two always pair up and spawn (and chase away the others), take care of their young for 1.5-2 months till I remove the fry, then spawn again. I did see some aggression when I took the fry out prematurely, as if the male was blaming the female for losing the fry, but it didn't appear that he wanted to mate again immediately.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I take all life very seriously :)) That is why I am on here reading and asking so many questions, I agree with all you said, but I am researching all BEFORE I even set the new tank up:), like to have a natural habitat setting, all my tanks are happy and breeding like crazy..............thought the eartheaters would be interesting to study and enjoy :)
I only mentioned the 1"ers because that is the size them seem to get here, then they are gone. I haven't read anywhere about the aggressiveness of the male, that is good to know. This may make me rethink things.

Will work on getting my tank set up and keep reading and listening, thanks for all your help everyone :)) I love this hobby :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
IME the fastest turnaround time for females is just under 3 weeks. If the males want to breed before that, you may have a problem.

However, they are very good parents and will defend their fry for at least 4-6 weeks. It's a lot of fun to watch and to me the most rewarding part. They will even chew up pellets and spit them out for the fry to eat.

When the fry reach about 1.5", both parents will be ready (and eager) to breed again. They'll become impatient with the fry. If you remove the fry then, they'll breed again and start the next cycle.

In short, IME, leave the fry with the parents and you won't have aggression problems.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
YEAHHHHE, thanks so much, good to know about leaving fry to avoid male agression :))
I really like these guys. I'm excited......will keep ya posted, thanks again ! Getting tank ready, so when LFS gets them in I'm good to go :) Watching courtship, and parent care is some of the best part for me too. Making a natural habitat and good enviroment and watching things flourish. So fun.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Hi peathenster,

I had one female that had spawned with both the dominant male and later on a subdominant male. The local breeder who I bought my juveniles off, keeps a trio of 1 male and 2 females in a 75 gallon tank, and his male will alternate spawning with each female. Ed Burress, another member on here, had two pairs in a 75 gallon tank and he witnessed and reported on here that his "pairs" would swap partners.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks DFF. Ed is a good friend and I actually got some of his stock a few years ago.

I thought you meant the harem breeding activity like G. balzanii, where one male roams and breeds with multiple females but doesn't stay with any of them - he courts, spawns and moves on, without caring for the fry or even guarding the eggs....females do all the work.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good info exchange, was just reading in one article about how 2 pairs that had spawned at the same time faked each other out during fry swaping and one male snacked on the others fry :(
Guess all fish are a bit diff, like people :) Love all the info. been reading old posts, seems a pair and 2 pairs are doable n the 75, a trio of two females one male may be good too, will see what I can find and go from there :) Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.