Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Experts,

I have a pair of red spotted severums. Its hard to find weather its a male or female with their current size. Experts help me with ur guess whether its a male or female. Only 2 weeks back i housed them in a new tank. Thanks in advance for ur valuable suggestions...

Here is the link...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Thanks & Regards,
Vip

·
Registered
977 Posts
That's what I know of as well.
males have a colorful series of striations surrounding their mouth, forehead, cheeks ..... females are more unifirmly colored in that area
That's what I'm basing mine below on.

my male

and female

·
Registered
912 Posts
I would say both male, but given the possibly hybrid nature of that strain, it's hard to be certain. I can't say that I've seen any photos of what I would expect females to look like, and I've yet to hear of a successful breeding within the strain.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I watched the pictures and saw that both have the typical markings for males, but then I get a bit uncertain due to that they are a colormorph that might affect this.

I googled abit and it turns out that the red spotted hero has markings on the face no matter of sex. I guess then you need to go for how elongated the fins are and overall size.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Riceburner

Hi riceburner your severum and gravel/sand looking awesome. can u post me some pics preferably fully tank snaps and items present inside the tank. Thanks again...

kent

·
Registered
173 Posts
It has been yrs. since I kept and bred green severum - but if my ancient experience memory saerves me correctly :? males of the same age as females generally had noticeably more elongated trailing filaments on their dorsal, anal, and pectoral fins. Based on this my first reaction was that your #1 was a male and #2 female (definitely more rounded fins from what I saw in pictures). Time will tell :popcorn:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts