Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would a severum fit into a 60x18x22 planted community tank? Will they bother plants?

Tankmates are:
35 black skirt tetras
4 SAE
1 CAE
4 Keyholes
4 L. Dorsigera (probably going to sell)
pair of apistogramma atuahulpa.

·
Registered
70 Posts
They will chop up the plants for sure. Only Crinum onions have survived any long time for me.

Even though they ar large and robust cichlids I feel they are fairly gentle as long as you give them a place to rule over protected with some wood and stones that creates barriers towards the rest of the aquarium. If they spawn I'm afraid the apistogrammas will not be fast enough.

They also eat small fishes if they get the chance.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I crossed the idea out fast after reading they eat plants.

Any ideas for a larger fish that would fit in?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Maybe, Geophagus, satanopercas, acarichthys heckelii, andinoacara pulcher, one of the mesonautas. Maybe one of the Aequidens, like metae och patricki. However the Aequidens are quick quick on eating other small fishes. Still I think 2 couple of these could work in that tank size.

Problem might be even though they don't eat the plants, they dig somewhat that might interfere with the plants. By placing stones in clever places you might avoid plants floating around.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Mesonauta and angels are great canidates for planted tanks. Neither will dig or tear up plants. A severum could work all depending on the plants. I've found, anubias tied to wood works fine. Anything tough that can be secured well could work, but if often depends on the individual sev. Most eartheaters will dig and really deserve a 6 foot tank. Are we talking a heavily planted tank?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah the tank is pretty heavily planted. The aquascape is number one priority, I just thought it would look nice to have something with some size.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I am very happy with my wild caught Peruvian Scalare Angels. Never thought I would like angels but they are great. I have four in my 75g (not real plants) and they get along fine with my Keyholes, Apistos, and tetras. My female Sev is a bit of a bully but the tank master male Oblongum keeps her in line.

I got them from Amizon Tropicals in S. Carolina.

Here is my 75g CA tank. Two Angels have paired but no signs of spawning yet.

....Bill

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Your CAE might be a problem with any large cichlid. They chase.

-Ryan

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I keep an eye on him. I would move him, but it would be hard to catch it. I grabbed him when I was not positive on the difference between CAE and SAE. Originally bought six, but after finding out the difference I caught all, but this one and disposed of them.

I'm going to shoot for a pair of angels by the way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts