Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Noticed this guy today hiding behind a filter intake, really ragged. I'm gonna post a pic at the bottom, does this look like aggression? Possible some disease? Any course of treatment? Currently he's secluded in a breeder box, I can also move him to the fry tank which just has one 2 month old fry in it (I'll keep either him or the fry in the breeder box). Alternatively, I can put the fry in the breeder box inside the main tank.

Parameters:

Temp: 75F
Chemistry: 0-0~20 (10ppm Nitrate out of tap, weekly 75% water changes). 8.2 pH, very hard

7 White tail acei (2M:5F)
8 Yellow Labs (2M:6F)
7 Cyno afra (unknown sex, at least 1M)

This guy is one of the white-tail Acei. None of the others show any sort of damage, this is probably one of the females (no egg spots, but white tail Acei sexing isn't 100%). Other male doesn't show signs of aggression.

Second tank I was thinking of putting him in is a 29 gallon, sponge filter, same water parameters, but warmer, about 80F.

Any help would be appreciated. I've had this up and running for several months without issues with aggression. They chase each other around some, but never anything like this. Plenty of hiding spots!

-John

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
I'd put him in the fry tank. Isolation and clean water should have him all healed up in a month. You can add Melafix if you want, but it's not essential.

You may not be able to add him back though unless you solve the problem that got him beat up in the first place. :(

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DJRansome said:
I'd put him in the fry tank. Isolation and clean water should have him all healed up in a month. You can add Melafix if you want, but it's not essential.

You may not be able to add him back though unless you solve the problem that got him beat up in the first place. :(
Thanks DJ. This doesn't look like fin rot, or any infections starting? That's what I was worried about, never had to deal with this before and I wanted to make sure there was nothing else going on.

The fry is about 1.25", how much bigger do you think he'd need to be to safely co-habitate with this guy? In other words, so he doesn't have to be confined in that breeder box?

-John

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
I think they would be fine together. I don't think the pic is clear enough to rule out fin rot, but having him isolated is step one in either case. Fin rot would be fuzzy or white. If there is nothing visible except missing fin/scales with clean edges I'd say aggression.

You can watch him for a couple of days...you will see fin regrowth (clear) almost immediately if this is an injury, and things will get worse if it is an untreated illness.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DJRansome said:
I think they would be fine together. I don't think the pic is clear enough to rule out fin rot, but having him isolated is step one in either case. Fin rot would be fuzzy or white. If there is nothing visible except missing fin/scales with clean edges I'd say aggression.

You can watch him for a couple of days...you will see fin regrowth (clear) almost immediately if this is an injury, and things will get worse if it is an untreated illness.
Thanks. He hasn't eaten yet, and moves only when he feels he has to (putting the net near him or something.) Breathing is regular, and not labored however. He's in the 29 gallon, resting on the sand inside a plastic hollow log (This tank sits on a floor, isn't really shown off, it's ugly but functional! lol). No interest in food yet, but he does chase the fry out of the log if he gets too close, haven't seen the fry (or juvenile? At what point are they no longer fry?) show any aggression, he dug out some sand under a seashell and has decided to become a shell dweller for now. I am going to move him into a breeder box, however. I don't want this guy to have the stress of feeling like he needs to defend territory or chase off this little guy.

He dug a pit in the sand about an hour ago and wedged himself between a pile of sand and the plastic log, seems like he's focusing his energy (when he has any) on trying to find hiding spots, seems terrified, but I do see some white re-growth (not much). He's lost an eye, most of his rear fin, and lots of scales. Really hoping he makes it, he had such a beautiful, pearl-white tail too.

Any feeding recommendations? I've been trying to get him to eat both NLS and NLS Grow, but I'm game for anything. I've considered picking up some garlic-laced food to get him to eat more, but the more I think about it, he's been eating NLS all his life, if he's not eating, he's not going to eat anything, even if it smells really really good, right?

-John

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
All the wounds seem clean and fuzz free? He is probably trying to keep the blind side to the outside so he can keep an eye (no pun intended) on the rest of the tank.

I would not feed for a day and try again if he seems better.

Watch for normal poop. If you see white/clear thready poop I'd start treating for bloat.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DJRansome said:
All the wounds seem clean and fuzz free? He is probably trying to keep the blind side to the outside so he can keep an eye (no pun intended) on the rest of the tank.

I would not feed for a day and try again if he seems better.

Watch for normal poop. If you see white/clear thready poop I'd start treating for bloat.
Looks that way, haven't seen any excrement yet, but I will watch for that. Thanks DJ!

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Any fuzz anywhere, start an antibacterial. Does he seem any better?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DJRansome said:
Any fuzz anywhere, start an antibacterial. Does he seem any better?
She's doing better. She turned the sand on the bottom of this tank into the surface of the moon overnight, she's really been digging like crazy. She ate when I fed the juvie, and spent some time sifting and spitting sand, definitely perking up. I've also been watching careful for signs of aggression in the main tank, seeing how bashed up this guy was I'm worried there will be a new "victim".

I know it's possible this could be a male, but all signs indicate it's a female, is it normal for a female to attract this kind of aggression? This one has no egg spots, usually floats around the top (well, middle, always above the males) of the tank with the other females, and while the obvious males (much brighter coloring, egg spots, etc, there are two of them), stay in their caves and guard them, and spend time chasing each other around, this white-tail showed no interest, like the rest of the "females". Granted, never saw him/her hold or show any interest in spawning, and I know with Acei there is no definite, for sure way to tell, but I'm inclined to think she's female, should I be worried about the aggression in the tank?

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Oh I'm so happy he/she is better. :dancing: I always worry when we try a med-free period.

Well, I have not had good experiences re-introducing fish to the main tank in two scenarios that are both hit by your fish. :(

Any victim fish, once recovered, seem to again become a victim fish in my tanks. I do not make changes when they are re-introduced, so maybe that is an option you have.

And although others have had one-eyed fish live full-length normal lives, mine have eventually become victimized by the others.

Yes a female could be a victim if you don't have enough females. Or it could be a sub-dom male getting harassed by the more dominant males.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DJRansome said:
Oh I'm so happy he/she is better. :dancing: I always worry when we try a med-free period.

Well, I have not had good experiences re-introducing fish to the main tank in two scenarios that are both hit by your fish. :(

Any victim fish, once recovered, seem to again become a victim fish in my tanks. I do not make changes when they are re-introduced, so maybe that is an option you have.

And although others have had one-eyed fish live full-length normal lives, mine have eventually become victimized by the others.

Yes a female could be a victim if you don't have enough females. Or it could be a sub-dom male getting harassed by the more dominant males.
Well I'm watching "it" carefully. I live an hour away from the closest even chain stores, so I keep a stock of antibacterials, melafix, that sort of thing, so it's ready to go if I notice anything. Everything is "coming out" okay, so that's a good sign.

Here's a question, living in a tank for a while with a small juvie, will he color up if he's male? Still scratching my head on that one, I have two with egg spots. One is definitely a male, he's huge compared to all the other ones, super bright colors, bright egg spots, he's blue with bright light-blue tiger stripes, all the rest of the fish are just dark blue but one other one has egg spots, and is slightly bigger than the rest. None of the other ones seems to have any damage whatsoever.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts