Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several african cichlids not eating. They make attempts to eat but do not take in the food. These are peacocks and haps.
I treated with paraguard as well as general cure. A couple of them are back to normal. All my water parameters are good. Two water changes per week.
Would appreciate any help.

·
Super Moderator
1,839 Posts
Could you provide more details on the tank dimensions and how long it has been set up?

Have you change to a different food lately? What food are you feeding?

How many fish do you have total? Are any of the fish staying near the top corners of the tank or hiding all the time in the rocks or decorations?

If you tested your tank water, can you please provide the test results for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tank is 75 gallon 60in x 21in x 18in . set up for about 9 months. I use north finn and hikari . currently 25 fish in tank i also have a 150 g tank with 40 peacocks and haps with no issues . Only one has pretty much hung out in the top corner but that fish is fine now. last test result ph is around 8.2 nitrites below .25 ppm nitrates below 30 ppm ammonia below .25 ppm

·
Super Moderator
1,839 Posts
Thanks for the info!!

I find it a bit odd that you are still seeing nitrite above zero and an ammonia reading above zero (while not uncommon from a lot of posts), causes me to wonder if either the test was done incorrectly, the kit is out of date or if there is some other reason for the test results.

How much water have you been changing on the 75G when you do it? I would consider increasing to at least 50% weekly at one time in order to lower those 3 parameters by 50% at one time.

Which brand water conditioner are you using if any?

Have you noticed any fish holding eggs or fry if you have a mixed gender tank?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do two water changes per week 25 percent and 50 percent. I use prime. The test kits are up to date i use API and seachem test kits. I have all males in that tank.
Like i said no issues in my other tanks. I appreciate your help.

·
Super Moderator
1,839 Posts
I'm wondering if what you are seeing is competition for food when you are feeding.

25 adult peacocks and haps in a 75G tank seems like a lot to me, are they still juveniles or relatively small?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
they range from 3 to 5 inches. i have always keeped my tanks over stocked. my other tank a 150 g has 40 peacocks/haps with no issues. the ones that are not eating are some of the dominant ones
they go for the food and will not eat it no matter what i feed them. has me and my friend stumped and we have been in to aficans for over 40 years. thanks again

·
Super Moderator
1,839 Posts
Maybe they are just trying to keep the other fish from getting any food? Are you noticing any difference in their appearance such as not growing as well or concave bellies?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts