Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello. this is my first post as i am a brand new member. i have been reading this message board pretty obsessively for a few weeks and look forward to talking to everyone.

anyways, here goes. i am planning on upgrading from my 29 to either a 55, 65 tall or 75 gallon. i bought a tiny green sev last week (knowing i would have him in at least a 55 very soon) and am in the process of planning his new home. it is pretty certain that my wife and i will be moving in about 2 years. i eventually would like a 75 but due to space/money issues i think i will be going with a 55 or 65 tall here shortly. my question is, how do i go about moving with my established aquarium with large fish (the sev will be large by this time). it seems like a horrible task, not to mention the stress on the fish. should i go with the 55 now in the name of space, then just upgrade to the 75 and start fresh when i move? or, go for the 75 now to give the little green man as much space as possible and move the whole deal when the time comes?

i know for a first post this is very wordy, i have just been struggling to figure out what is best for me and for the green sev who my wife named "allen" because she said such a boring looking little fish should have a boring name! haha, i cant wait til she sees what he will look like in a few years.

if anyone can give me some advice, or if anyone has been in a similar situation any help/advice would be very appreciated.

G

·
green severums are nice looking fish when they start to get bigger.
are you planning on putting the severum with other cichlids?
if you are id go with the 75 gallon.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think i will stay away from other sevs for now, but i plan on having him with my 2 corys, my pleco who is a little over 5" and possibly some blue acara or maybe keyhole(s). nothing else overwhelming. i am planning on him having the run of things in this new tank.

any ideas? the stocking is also up in the air so i am open to suggestions.
any thoughts on having sevs with angels? i have heard mixed thoughts on this topic.

G

·
lol thats what im actually trying to find out for myself. so if your most likely gonna get a 75 gallon i would go with the severum, the pleco, and mabye a chocolate.
i dont know about the cory cats though. and mabye some jurupuri.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nice, well please share if you get any info on the angel/sev.
if i end up going with a 55 would you still reccomend the chocolate with the green?

G

·
umm i wouldnt be sure if it was only the sverum and chocolate then id say yes.
but i dont know about the pleco, since common plecos get to 2 feet max

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
does anyone have suggestions as far as the best way to handle moving an established tank? preferences on moving as opposed to starting fresh after a move?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
If you aren't moving far, it's not a problem. Just keep your filter media in tank water and get the tank set back up as quickly as possible. My husband and I are facing a 700 mile move soon with all of our tanks, so that should be interesting.

Don't go overboard in cleaning your substrate with the move, either. This will help boost your beneficial bacteria.

Kim

·
Registered
663 Posts
I think a 55 gallon is too small for a full grown sev. Sure you can make it work, but it's not going to be really happy. Also if your sev is particularly territorial it will wreak havoc on the other fish.

·
Registered
586 Posts
you wouldn't be able to comfortably fit the fish you want in a 55, and a 65 isn't much better. Definitly the 75. As for moving the fish, I put them in a tupperware container with the cap on and drain all the water out of the tank except about 2 inches. They are pretty easy to move, the concept of moving fish is harder than actually doing it.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the input. i was at my lfs today and talked with a guy there for a half hour about the whole situation. he explained the whole moving process, said the same things as you all and i think im good on that front. thanks very much, you are right. seems to be harder in theory than actually doing it.

also, i have decided that no matter how hard my wife fights, im getting the 75. its about the same price as a 55 setup and in all actuality, its the same size. theyre both about 48 inches long. its bit wider and its taller, but will essentially not be taking up much more space. plus, the fish will be MUCH happier in this setup. its the way to go.

thanks for input everyone. i will keep you posted on any progress.

·
Registered
586 Posts
always great to see a new member make good decisions and go a good way about fishkeeping, ask first and act later. Good luck with the new tank.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts