Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set up my 55g mbuna tank with a cascade 1000 canister rated at 265 gph. After much reading I purchased a penguin 350 to supplement the cascade. I have 16 fish in now, they are small but growing obviously so I go to install the penguin but I didn't leave enough room behind the tank. With the rocks this thing has to be 700 lbs. In your experience is it possible to move a 55g during a 30% water change? Or will the canister suffice and use the penguin for the eventual fry tank?

·
Registered
783 Posts
ironspider said:
I set up my 55g mbuna tank with a cascade 1000 canister rated at 265 gph. After much reading I purchased a penguin 350 to supplement the cascade. I have 16 fish in now, they are small but growing obviously so I go to install the penguin but I didn't leave enough room behind the tank. With the rocks this thing has to be 700 lbs. In your experience is it possible to move a 55g during a 30% water change? Or will the canister suffice and use the penguin for the eventual fry tank?
No way would I ever personally attempt it ... unless maybe I had a fork lift to pick it and the stand up at the same time.

Even then I think you'd be courting disaster.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have moved a 55 gallon away from a wall due to the same sort of situation; I drained about 80% of the water and then very carefully side one end and then the other out. Fortunately the floor was hardwood and the stand had a piece of carpet under it so it moved fairly easily. It can be done...but I would not recommend that you do it with 70% of the water in it; it is still going to be very heavy and top heavy, could easily dump over.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I had a 55g and moved it on carpet one end at a time with a 90% water change without issue. At 50% full, I personally would not attempt it let alone at 70% full. Just wait until your next water change. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Just moving it around I have adjusted a 150 gallon by myself, but back then I was pretty strong. I have also muscled a 55 gallon that was 1/8 full and fish included into another room with free lifting it, but if you lift it off the stand they you absolutely need to get the rocks out first or it's going to burst open.

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
Not worth the risk...easy enough to drain the tank as long as your water is pristine so refilling with 100% fresh will not shock the fish.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DJRansome said:
Not worth the risk...easy enough to drain the tank as long as your water is pristine so refilling with 100% fresh will not shock the fish.
Next water change is next wednesday. So just to clarify, no adverse affects from changing so much water? That almost sounds like giving them a new lake.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes it can be done. I used to have a 55 gal many years ago and had to pull it away from the wall a little. I took out maybe 60-70% of water then moved it. Good luck!

·
Registered
449 Posts
ironspider said:
DJRansome said:
Next water change is next wednesday. So just to clarify, no adverse affects from changing so much water? That almost sounds like giving them a new lake.
I have so much rock in my tanks that in order to catch juveniles to take to my local store I have to completely tear my tanks down removing all of the rocks, so I just go ahead and take out the rocks, catch all of the fish, drain all of the water, give the tank a thorough cleaning and put it all back together. Never had a problem.

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
If you keep your nitrates between 10ppm and 20ppm then 100% new water will be OK.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had to do this, so I bought 5 of the Home depot buckets. Siphoned water into the buckets, put fish in buckets, removed all decorations, siphoned more water out vacuuming the gravel. Moved the tank with ease, poured the five bucket and fish back in, put decorations back in and that was it. My 55 is on a built in bookcase, so I can't use canister filters. If I could, I would buy two of them and not use any HOB filters.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts