Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to get everyones thoughts on the setup and stock we are going to go with.
125g Tank - (roughly 72"x 18" x 23").
Two Marineland c-530 canister fiters
Iternal tank powerhead/uv filter
Two Marineland maxijets with the upgrade props.
Marineland double bright LED strips.
~100lbs-125lbs PFS.
Not sure if we are going to use holey rock (depends on what we can find), river stones, or lace rock.

For stocking we are thinking about
~15 Duboisi Maswa's
~15 Moorii kasanga's
if we can't find the kasanga's, we'll probably go with another Moorii that my GF likes.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Number of fish per tank size and filters seem fine. My only question is whether or not you want to risk interbreeding or do you not care about raising fry?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not too worried about breeding. If they do, thats sort of an extra cause it's pretty cool watching them do their little dance.

Are the certain species that are less likely to interbreed? Or will all tropheus do this?

·
Registered
639 Posts
If properly cared for your tropheus will definitely breed. You shouldn't have any cross breeding with the numbers and mix you are planning on. Its unlikely but not impossible.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Prob no crosses I agree. But generaly one type supresses the breeding of the other. In this case the dubs outbred the Kasanga and the Kasanga bred a lot less than if the dubs were not there. (I kept mix in a 200g tank some years ago). Advise against lace rock in Tropheus tanks long term. Bit scratchy and can damage chased females and sub dom fish. They do learn to avoid it (esp if grown up with it) when they can but scrapes from it can be a problem esp if it is the eyes.

All the best James

1 - 5 of 5 Posts