Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After almost a decade away I have started setting up my 75 gallon tank. It's going to be a peacock/hap tank. What I need help with is figuring out if I'm forgetting anything that I need.

What I have:
50 lbs of pool filter sand (I may need more not sure)
Fluval Aquasky Bluetooth LED light
Fluval FX6
Python gravel cleaner
Magna float algae cleaner

What I need:
A good heater because the tank is on the lower level
Rock (thinking light colored)
Water testing kit

Here are some pictures of what it looks like so far. I have 50 lbs of sand and Aquasky LED light. Anything else that I need? Any tips or suggestions?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,844 Posts
Tanks looks good so far, I also agree it looks like enough sand.

Be very careful with a Mag float cleaner as any grain of substrate you pick up will scratch the glass. I switched over to a single edge razor blade with a holder for all my tanks as I ended up scratching the glass on my 220G tank.

I'm partial to the API Master test kit with test tubes for water testing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update:
I picked up rocks at a landscaping place today. I got the FX6 set up and added water. Everything is now running. I am waiting for my heater to arrive. I am running a fish less cycle. I will test my water tomorrow.

I need help with media to add to FX6. I am very new to this and need all the help I can get with this filtration system.

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
All I run in my filters is some Seachem Matrix for bio, and course and fine filter pads.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Sorry if I missed it, is the FX6 used? If new it sounds like it comes with everything you need?

·
Registered
767 Posts
Deeda is correct. Ditch the magfloat cleaner, especially with with sand. The Kent Marine Pro-Scraper II with the stainless steel blade works great for us. I like the short model.
I like the new rocks you have.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DJRansome said:
Sorry if I missed it, is the FX6 used? If new it sounds like it comes with everything you need?
The FX6 is new. I just wasn't sure if it came with everything or if there was something else that I'd need. Now I'm just trying to figure out this fishless cycle.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yeah, patience. I'm losing mine and am ready to throw a shrimp in my tank. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Six weeks is average IME.

·
Registered
216 Posts
TDOGG1181 said:
DJRansome said:
The FX6 is new. I just wasn't sure if it came with everything or if there was something else that I'd need. Now I'm just trying to figure out this fishless cycle.
Well, I'm on day 15, I've added 2 tsp of ammonia twice (keeping it at 2ppm) and I'm starting to see a bit of nitrite. It's going, sloooooowly. :thumb:
Keep at it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have set up my heater and it's been running for about 48 hours. The highest it will warm up to is 80 degrees F. Would it be okay to add another heater?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I would think so, I have a 300W in my 75 just to give you an idea. It did take a day or 2 to get it up to 84.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts