Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I teach 1st-4th grade science and want to set up a 32 gallon cichlid tank in my class. I'd like to get either Yellow Blaze Lithobates, Electric Blue Hap or Electric Blue Johanni...prefer blue (school colors blue and yellow). Also want to breed them (kids love the mouth breeders), so I'm thinking 1 male 3 females. Looking for an advise from substrate to water conditioner, etc.

Thanks,
Matthew

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I hate to break it to you, but none of those are suited for a 32 gallon. If you could bump the tank up to a 36"x18" 40 gallon you could a saulosi species tank. Males are blue with bars, females are yellow.

·
Super Moderator
1,862 Posts
Hi Matthew and Welcome to C-F!!

I love the idea of setting up a Malawi tank for youngsters! What are the dimensions of the tank?

You may want to consider getting Chindongo (formerly Pseudotropheus) saulosi as the males are blue and the females are yellow, Here is the link to the species article from the C-F Library.

·
Super Moderator
40,529 Posts
I can't think of mouth brooders that will work in a 32" tank. Shellies will work but they are not mouth brooders.

Maybe someone else will chime in.

For the Malawi haps you mention, you want a 48" tank or longer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.