Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just set up my 55gal, and I'm waiting for it to cycle. A friend of mine at work just set up a 10gal to raise cherry red shrimp for his cichlids, and I would like to do the same thing. However, space IN my house is limited and I do have an area in my garage that I could set up my extra 4' stand.

So my idea was to set up two tanks on my 4' stand.. either two 10gal, 15gal, or even 20gal tanks, and I could use one to raise shrimp and the other as a spare tank for fry or whatever. But, my garage (while being a finished garage) is not insulated nor is it heated/cooled. Would this really be a big factor as long as I have a heater in the tank? The only problem I could see is the summer time heat, it can hot in the garage during a hot Oklahoma summer!

·
Registered
89 Posts
There's plenty of room for a smaller tank under your 55 that would avoid extreme temperatures in summer. Do they make aquarium summer cooling systems? (I've been to Oklahoma, and I think 100 degrees F would be a killer.)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dielikemoviestars said:
How cold does the air temperature get in winter? I'd be more worried about that than the extra heat, to be honest.
Well, this winter the coldest we've seen was -12 (no wind chill), and just north of here they hit -31, a new state record.. It was cold enough in my garage that my main water line coming into the house froze, it's mounted to the finished wall on the inside of my garage.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Novice said:
There's plenty of room for a smaller tank under your 55 that would avoid extreme temperatures in summer. Do they make aquarium summer cooling systems? (I've been to Oklahoma, and I think 100 degrees F would be a killer.)
I built my stand and I only have a 24"w x 17"d x 25"h area under the 55gal that's usable space. Right now I have my Fluval 305 in there, and I have plans on building an acrylic sump in the next couple of months. The rest of the area under my stand is used for storage for my son's toys.

·
Registered
688 Posts
It seems to me that you would need a good heater in the cold months and a chiller in the hot months. I don't think I would do it, at least not where I live.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would look at insulating the garage, shouldn't be hard to do, just some insulation board screwed to the inside of the roof would make a big difference, and perhaps somne on the coldest wall. This would help keep the garage warm as well as cool. Your electricity bill will be pretty high in the winter with heating, AND the summer with cooling, unless you go for vents to get a good air flow through. To be honest our garage never gets that warm in the summer months, it's usually the coolest place in the house.

You could build a cabinet with insulation also, polystyrene on the outside, behind any backgrounds, then finished with wood.

Or am I getting carried away :-?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts