Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

So I have spent the last month or so reading and reading and reading about different types of sump setups.

I have a 75 gallon aquarium with a corner overflow. The tank is drilled and I've picked up a dorso downpipe. I will be setting it up sometime either the end of March or early April.

I have never setup a sump or any plumbing for an aquarium before so I've tried my best to look at other peoples setups to understand what would work well for me.

Quick rundown of the planned water route. Please feel free to correct me if this isn't ideal correct or if I'm missing items that I "should" be using.

Downpipe -> bulkhead -> screw in joint -> thick rubber hose -> screw in to PVC pipe into sump
Under first baffle -> coarse sponge -> travels up through ceramic rings
Over 2nd baffle -> drip tray -> bio balls 5 gallons -> egg crate
Under 3rd baffle -> heater and pump back out - > and here.. i'm lost....

here's a photo of what i plan for the sump 20 gallon btw if anyone has any suggestions on how to make a "lip" on top of a piece of glass to assist with water falling into the drip tray that would be great!

I've totally lost my train of though now...

:oops:

G

·
I do not know much about sumps but I have a 75 gallon as well and am doing my research at this time how did this work for you? how much noise does it make?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I got a 75 and I'm looking at doing a 20g sump for mine. Most likely have it set up before yours. I plan on having the in flow hit the drip tray then bio balls. After the bio balls I was going to run it through ceramics. I also plan on putting the heater in the sump.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Both of your "flow under" baffles are drawn clear to the top of the sump. I would recommend pulling those down at least an inch from the top, so that if something clogs (like that sponge in the pass-under), the water flows into the next stage of the sump rather than out onto the ground.

I would also be worried about how quick/easy it will be to service that sponge prefilter, but those fears may be unfounded.

-Rick (the armchair aquarist, who hasn't actually built his sump yet so take a grain of salt with his advice)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts