Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fish lovers! I recently purchased a 10g tank for my QT/Hospital tank and was wondering how to keep it cycled without fish in it? I put some media from my established tank in it to get it running and have a HOB biowheel filter. Is it okay to keep it running all the time without fish in it? If not, what is the best method for this? I just want to be able to have a cycled tank ready in the event I need it. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Put a small HOB on your main tank and you can just move it over when needed. A filter running on an empty tank wouldn't have an ammonia source to keep the bacteria alive.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So even adding some ammonia source to it to get it started wouldn't work? I get the fact of leaving a small HOB on my main tank and moving it over, but do I leave the hospital tank empty then just add water when needed or keep water in it? Sorry for all the questions.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yes you would fill the spare tank as needed and move the HOB over. You would have to add ammonia every few days to keep the bacteria alive if you kept a tank running without fish.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for that information!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Not only would you have to add ammonia to feed the bacteria, you would have to either do weekly water changes on an empty tank, or do a 90 to 95% change prior to adding fish as the nitrates would be very high.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Old Newbie said:
Not only would you have to add ammonia to feed the bacteria, you would have to either do weekly water changes on an empty tank, or do a 90 to 95% change prior to adding fish as the nitrates would be very high.
So what I'm seeing, is its best to just leave it empty? Do I need to have the whole HOB filter on my main tank or is it okay to just have my media in a filter and just move it to my filter when needed?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Electricyellow3 said:
Old Newbie said:
So what I'm seeing, is its best to just leave it empty? Do I need to have the whole HOB filter on my main tank or is it okay to just have my media in a filter and just move it to my filter when needed?
Yes you can leave the tank empty until you need it. You could use media from your main tank if you like. Easiest option in my opinion is to just run the small HOB on main tank until needed, but either work.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you so much! Love all the info I get from here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.