Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning All,

What will I need to set up a hospital/time-out/quarantine tank? I do not plan on having it up and running all the time, only on an as needed basis.

If I use a sponge filter, can I keep the sponge sitting in the overflow section of my wet/dry filter in my main tank so it will have the bacteria on it ready to go?

How large should it be? Do I need substrate and all the other trimmings that would go into a regular setup (want the fish to be comfortable! :) )?

Thanks for any help,
Carl

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
If I use a sponge filter, can I keep the sponge sitting in the overflow section of my wet/dry filter in my main tank so it will have the bacteria on it ready to go?
Yes, but best if you can run some air through it rather than just sitting them in there.

How large should it be?
10's work for most fish, but depends on the potential fish load.

Do I need substrate and all the other trimmings that would go into a regular setup
Some cover is good, but I wouldn't worry about the substrate, or just go with a very fine layer to cover the bottom.

·
Registered
143 Posts
i would have the sponge at the bottom of the bio tower portion of your wet/dry and go bare bottom in the QT with just a few pieces of random sized PVC for the fish to hide in.... a question as for the time out use of the QT could you not set up a section in your wet/dry for the fish to hang out? just asking as that is how mine is now set up... QT separate for obvious reasons but the trouble makers will get put inthe sump jail until they chill.... LOL

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The wet/dry is built right into the back of the aquarium, not a true sump. The chamber is way too small for a fish to hang out in. But a great idea if (when) I ever get a larger tank with a true sump.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts