Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 15 years ago I had a 125g Cichlid tank which I really enjoyed and had to sell it because of health problems and moving. The question I have is what lake and species to get. I do remember some species can get aggressive that I do not need and I understand there is always a chance of that. My last tank as well as I can remember was the Mbuna species and really liked them. I do not mind changing lakes or species as long as I can have them as long as they are half way peaceful. In the 75g tank I would think it can handle at least
10 Cichlids at least up to 6-7 inches long. I do remember having Rustys, Electric Yellows,. Acei and several other species. It will have a sand substrate and plenty of rock caves and
no real plants I had a few and the tore them up. Looking for lots of feed back on the tank for suggestions

Thanks Bill :-?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I know you said you don't need aggressive fish, so just be aware Mbuna can be pretty aggressive, especially in a 4ft tank. The ones you mentioned (Y.labs, Rusties, Acei) are probably the most mellow of the mbuna species. Only problem is Acei can get pretty good size and might be a little cramped with full grown Acei and other fish in a 75g. Not saying you can't do it, I have myself in the past, but just letting you know ahead of time it may become a bit crowded. If you want to have a peaceful tank that looks really good have you given any thoughts to an all male peacock tank? A 75g is the perfect size for a peacock tank because most peacocks will stay around 5" range. Plus you could do about 15 or so peacocks in that tank. So 15 all male peacocks would be a very colorful and peaceful tank.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve for that info. I will do will take a real good look on the Peacock species. I sure appreciate you help. I have about 2 1/2 months to put it all together It will seem
like old days even tho it has not been long ago. Again thank you for your response good info

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
No problem. If you haven't looked into them much I think you'll be amazed at how great male peacocks look. It was actually a 4ft 55g all male peacock tank that got me back into the hobby 7 yrs ago after being away for about 25 years. I no longer have that tank but sure do miss it. Take a look at some of these, IMO they are some of the most beautiful ones on the peacock side of things-

Aulonocara Lawanda
German red
Nagara Flame tail
Dragon blood
Benga Sunshine
Sulfur head

There's a lot more, plus some nice looking OB's, but those above are some that I use to have that I think are some of the nicer species of them.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
Read the all-male article in the Cichlid-forum Library for pros and cons.

If 100% color and as peaceful as possible and also set-it-and-forget-it stocking as opposed to tinkering with all-male, I would do 10 acei and 10 yellow labs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.