Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently purchased a 75 gallon tank. I've only been in the hobby for about a year and i could use some help on stocking ideas. I have 4 angels than I'm transferring to the 75 and I would like to add some South American cichlids. What kind will go well with my angels and how many can I add?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
Hello, and welcome to Cichlid Forum!
And, congrats on getting the new, 75 gallon aquarium. Sounds like you're moving up!
So, are you keeping the original aquarium that the Angels came out of? I ask, because that would be a good aquarium to possibly use as a quarantine tank for any new arrivals you want to stock with the Angels in the 75 gallon aquarium. I would keep your new arrivals in quarantine for a minimum of 4 weeks, to positively determine they are all free of disease, parasites or other nasty things before putting everyone together.
-
As for additional Cichlids? Sure.... But first, are there already OTHER non-Cichlid fish that are going to be transferred over to the new 75 gallon tank with the Angels? Fish you already have? And, have you decided to get other Non-Cichlid fish (Tetras, Barbs or Catfish, etc.....) that you will be stocking the new aquarium with?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello, and welcome to Cichlid Forum!
And, congrats on getting the new, 75 gallon aquarium. Sounds like you're moving up!
So, are you keeping the original aquarium that the Angels came out of? I ask, because that would be a good aquarium to possibly use as a quarantine tank for any new arrivals you want to stock with the Angels in the 75 gallon aquarium. I would keep your new arrivals in quarantine for a minimum of 4 weeks, to positively determine they are all free of disease, parasites or other nasty things before putting everyone together.
-
As for additional Cichlids? Sure.... But first, are there already OTHER non-Cichlid fish that are going to be transferred over to the new 75 gallon tank with the Angels? Fish you already have? And, have you decided to get other Non-Cichlid fish (Tetras, Barbs or Catfish, etc.....) that you will be stocking the new aquarium with?
Thanks for the welcome. Yes I'm keeping the 40 gallon breeder I was using and as far as other non-cichlid fish, I was thinking maybe a few Rams, maybe some kind of bottom dweller, if possible I'd like a schooling fish.

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
This is sounding good!
Okay then, the 4 Angels are currently the only fish you have it seems?
Then for some additional Cichlids that would go well with your Angels - how 'bout these little guys?
Water Organism Fin Fish Underwater

:Laetacara dorsigera, Red Breast Acara
These peaceful and colorful little Cichlids grow out to about 3 inches long at maturity. Five to six individuals of this species would be a good group for your 75 gallon aquarium. Ideally, you would want 2 males and 3 - 4 females for a balanced level of aggression in the group. With those dwarf Cichlids, you could also add a 1M - 4F harem group of Apistogramma cacatuoides, Cockatoo Cichlids in there for even more color (and a bit of Cockatoo Apisto group drama to enjoy).
For your dedicated bottom dwellers, you've got some interesting Non-Cichlid choices you can consider. One Pterygoplichthys scrophus, Rhino or Chocolate Pleco, - OR - or 5 - 6 Pimelodus pictus, Pictus catfish - OR - 8 - 10 Corydoras catfish, (Various species), would do well in that tank.
NOTE: If you have REALLY been considering getting a (larger growing Cichlid species) group of Red Headed Tapajos Earth Eaters? So, instead of stocking with the Red Breast Acara group, harem of Cockatoo Cichlids and any of those catfish, you could stock with a 1M - 4F harem group of Red Headed Tapajos Earth Eaters.
-
Some peaceful, mid-sized Tetras such as Hyphessobrycon pulchripinnis, Lemon Tetra could be stocked in a 10 -12 members school to round things out.
That would be a very cool community tank. :cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh wow! These are both great options. Either way I choose so much color and beautiful fish. I'm so excited.
This is sounding good!
Then for some additional Cichlids that would go well with your Angels - how 'bout these little guys?
View attachment 140736
These peaceful and colorful little Cichlids grow out to about 3 inches long at maturity. Five to six individuals of this species would be a good group for your 75 gallon aquarium. Ideally, you would want 2 males and 3 - 4 females for a balanced level of aggression in the group. With those dwarf Cichlids, you could also add a 1M - 4F harem group of Apistogramma cacatuoides, Cockatoo Cichlids in there for even more color (and a bit of Cockatoo Apisto group drama to enjoy).
For your dedicated bottom dwellers, you've got some interesting Non-Cichlid choices you can consider. One Pterygoplichthys scrophus, Rhino or Chocolate Pleco, - OR - or 5 - 6 Pimelodus pictus, Pictus catfish - OR - 8 - 10 Corydoras catfish, (Various species), would do well in that tank.
NOTE: If you have REALLY been considering getting a (larger growing Cichlid species) group of Red Headed Tapajos Earth Eaters? So, instead of stocking with the Red Breast Acara group, harem of Cockatoo Cichlids and any of those catfish, you could stock with a 1M - 4F harem group of Red Headed Tapajos Earth Eaters.
-
Some peaceful, mid-sized Tetras such as Hyphessobrycon pulchripinnis, Lemon Tetra could be stocked in a 10 -12 members school to round things out.
Oh wow! These are both great options. Either way I choose so much color and beautiful fish. I'm so excited.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is sounding good!
View attachment 140736
-
Hey, I just wanted to thank you for your input. I do have a few questions though. If i chose to go with the Earth Eaters, could I get less that the 5 suggested and get something else as well? Maybe an Electric Blue Acara or something like that?

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
Yes.
The reason is, the Electric Blue Acara is a comparably sized Cichlid to the Red Headed Tapajos (RHT) Earth Eater. However, your Earth Eater group will be put right on the edge if stocked with 1M-3F. You'll have to hope you have a pretty calm male (rare in this species - the males can be very aggressive with their females). And, if you lose one of those 3 females? An RHT male will literally harass the remaining two Earth Eater females in the aquarium with him to death. :censored:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes.
The reason is, the Electric Blue Acara is a comparably sized Cichlid to the Red Headed Tapajos (RHT) Earth Eater. However, your Earth Eater group will be put right on the edge if stocked with 1M-3F. You'll have to hope you have a pretty calm male (rare in this species - the males can be very aggressive with their females). And, if you lose one of those 3 females? An RHT male will literally harass the remaining two Earth Eater females in the aquarium with him to death. :censored:
Holy ****! 😬 Guess I should stick with 5. Can they be sexed when they're still relatively young? Or do they need to wait until they are a certain age?

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
Honestly, if you're REALLY set on getting those Earth Eaters? I would get 6 to 8 of them at baby/juvenile sizes, and then just raise them all out. You may have to eventually pull an extra male or two out (the poor fellas will be just getting THRASHED at some point, by your dominant male). But, sometimes you can get a nice group of these Earth Eaters that way, with more fish than you expected for the group.
Works out nicely for everyone that way, I suppose....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts