Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the site, looks like a nice place, lots of great info. I'm setting up a, new to me, 55 gallon (48"x13"x20") tank. I've had experience with Cichlids in much larger tanks in the past, been a few years though. I know this set up is on the small side, but is my only option for now. I'm using the AC 110 filter, crushed coral substrate, and probably use lace rock for hiding places. I filled the tank 3 days ago and waiting to cycle fishless. Any suggestions on what species will work best in this tank? Thanks

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
55 isn't a bad size really.

What are you interested in?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm thinking of going smaller and less aggressive, would be nice to have males and females also. In the past I had larger tanks and went with the more aggressive, larger species. I want to try something different this time, I really like the looks of the Herotilapia multispinosa "Rainbow Cichlid". Does anyone have any experience with them? What would make good tank mates?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I don't see water conditions for them, but they sound like they'd go well with Saulosi (yellow females, blue w/bars males). They top out at 2-3" as well as the Herotilapia multispinosa you mentioned.

You could do quite a few of each... maybe 3:12 on the saulosi & 3:4 on the Herotilapia multispinosa.

Use PFS as substrate and lots of hidey holes (larger holes = good; I hate stuck fish... lost 2 that way so far)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is PFS? I am using crushed coral as substrate, is that ok? I am using Laced rock to make hiding places also.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
PFS=pool filter sand. It's a coarse sand-colored sand.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
The article on the Herotilapia multispinosa you posted mentioned they like to sift through the substrate, so I thought PFS would be good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts