Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im starting a 120 gal tank for some cichlids i am gonna start with about 10 of them. does that sound alright?they will grow in peace. and also i would like to know if i can put the tank under some windows. do they like alot of natural sunlight?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
A) depends on type of cichlid, usually the more the merrier.

B) sunlight will definitely cause an algae explosion, careful with that.

·
Registered
250 Posts
It's not a good idea to put your tank near a window, not just because of the light, but because of the temp. fluctuation.

For stocking, look here: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cookie_cutter_75g.php
I know this list is for a 75G, but you could use it as a starting point and add a few more compatible species. As far as the total number of fish, what kind of filtration will you be using? Decorations? How much time are you willing to spend on water changes? I would start by deciding what kind of cichlids you want and what your goals are (Color, breeding, species tank?) Then make a stocking list and run it by the appropriate forum. After you've made these decisions, then you can customize your tank setup, filtration and rockwork, etc... There are a lot of variables that will determine the answer to your question.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts