Cichlid Fish Forum banner
101 - 109 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
thanks!

yesterday I added somewhere in the neighborhood of 6-8ppm ammonia and tested a couple hours ago and measured 0 on both ammonia and nitrite. 6-8ppm in the sump would be 1-2ppm in the full system volume so looking pretty good. Just got to keep feeding my hard grown bacteria now until I get set up.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hey Jim, This is just my normal Monday post to remind you that we have to wait for Tuesdays now...

RHINOX! We need an update!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
sorry for leaving you hanging! I figured no update might be better than a disappointing one. Nothing new has happened as far as getting the tank set up and getting fish the past 2 weeks. I'm stuck right now until I get my water supply and drain plumbed in. And before that, I need to frame up the wall I intend to put the utility sink on. That would be a nice weekend job but I dragged my feet so long that now that the weather is being nice my wife expects me to go do outside things with the family on weekends :D . And I'm falling behind on some projects for work so haven't really been able to slip downstairs and work in the basement over my lunchbreaks like I had when work was slower. I have to drop my oldest off at summer camp in the mornings now instead of just getting him on the bus, so that takes an extra half hour out of my days, plus 3 days a week I have to stop work kinda early. My oldest is doing skating lessons and hockey practice 2 days a week, and they're both doing swimming lessons a 3rd, so I don't have the extra time to stretch out my hours unless I work at night after the kids are in bed (by then I'm usually just ready for a drink! haha)

On a sad note, an aunt I was very close with passed away on June 7th after a 12 year fight with pancreatic cancer. That pushed the fish tank so far to the back of my mind that by the end of last week I realized I had let the filter go a week without feeding ammonia. This past weekend was family time and now here we are already to tuesday in mid june. I did go down, skim out some surface film, top off, and dose with ammonia this morning. I'll do some water tests tomorrow morning to make sure my neglect didn't upset my cycle. This week is my oldest's 6th birthday and Friday-Sunday will be spent on Birthday celebrating activities as well as father's day. Monday is my 12th wedding anniversary. The following weekend is my aunt's funeral and my mom's 60th birthday, and my brother and sister-in-law are coming up from SC and we get to meet our 2mo nephew for the first time. So this month has really just been a lot already. Weekend after that is the 4th already so I'm quickly realizing it could be mid-july before tank status changes, unless I get time to get down and work during the week. No one to blame but myself, though. I could and should have had it all done by the time the cycle finished. Ah well, it'll get done. There'll still be fish to buy in July.

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
Mid-July is not so far away. All that family stuff sounds important and you will be glad you made/will make the memories. Balance is good.

Sorry for your loss. :(

·
Registered
179 Posts
Man, that's heavy. I'm sorry for your loss. I've honestly been at a loss for words over the last few days as to what to say, but, lest ye feel abandoned in my silence, You are truly in my thoughts and prayers. It's always more important to do the family stuff for sure. Good luck, and let us know how everything goes.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sorry for your loss.

I feel ya. That window to work on "our" stuff is very small and only remains open for a short time. :) Most of what I have been doing is happening from 9 pm to 11 pm at night. Of course, at that time, anything that makes noise would be off-limits.

Anyway, enjoy the family time. As you say, there will still be fish to buy in July. And August even. If you need to. 8)

101 - 109 of 109 Posts