Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to set up this type of tank and need some ideas. I am thinking to have 3 species; a group of 6 fishes of each of the following:
Pseudotropheus acei, Labidochromis caeruleus (yellow labs) and Iodotropheus sprengerae (rusties). My questions are:
1. Is this a good combination to work with in this tank?
2. Will aceis and labs crossbreed?
3. Is Cynotilapia afra a less aggresive fish than P. acei?
4. Any suggestions about filtration and substrate?
5. Is it a good idea to substitute one of this 3 species for a group of 6 peacocks(Aulonacara) of any one species?
Any ideas will be welcome!
Thanks a lot!
EFors

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
In order, yes, no, no, see below, no.

I like canister filters because they are silent. My favorite is the Rena Filstar XP series.

For substrate, sand or something that looks like sand is good. I have Seachem Reef Base Aragonite Spheres and love the stuff. It's expensive and not always available everywhere though. A lot of people like pool filter sand as well.

Good luck!

·
Registered
59 Posts
As far as filtration and subtrate I'd say keep it simple and inexpenisive with an Aqua Clear 110 and a $3 bag of play sand from Home Depot. And I wouldn't mix mbunas and peacocks either.

F-1

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks like for this type of tank, a combination of this 3 species(Ps.acei, L. caeruleus and I.sprengerae) and 6 fishes of each species will work nice. Does anybody think different?
For filtration a Aquaclear 110 is good choice. Any other suggestions?
Now I have 2 new questions:
1.Is it important the male/female ratio with these 3 species?
2.For this tank, what is better: a group of 6 fishes of each species or 7 or 8 of each one?
Please, help me! I want to start in the right way.
Thanks to all of you folks!
EFors

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
I'd stick with 6 of each and as they mature you may want to weed out extra males among the rusties. With Acei and Labs it is less important and pretty hard to do anyway!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for your help (specially to DJRansome)!
Then with I.sprengerae (rusties), is it important the male/female ratio?
Remembering that my setup is for a 55g mbuna tank, any other suggestions?
Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts