Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone

My mom is a teacher and I just donated a 55g tank for her students. I told her it had to be a cichlid tank, but here is my question

What do I put in there. I was thinking of trying to breed something but she is worried about the parents eating the fry or scaring the kids when the babies "disappear" Now I know most cichlids eat the fry to make room for new fry, but I told her about dividing the tank or using a fry basket thing to separate them until they grow.
Worse case I'd take the fry as food for my jags

So now that *** rambled on, what small cichlid is the most interesting parents? I've only mated cons before

So what you say?

·
Registered
308 Posts
rainbows would be some pretty nice ones to put in that tank. my jack dempseys are doing great in my 55 gallon no aggression and it seems like none of the fry have been eaten.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, i was thinking maybe trying EBJD's as they are less aggressive then jd's. never had a rainbow before, thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
877 Posts
maybe something hardy and outgoing like convicts? you could also get the breeding experiences.
a timid or shy cichlid may not necissarily love being in a classroom with kids always running around etc.

very cool of you to donate the tank. good for you.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I agree with HONDO. Cons make great parents, have interesting behaviour and won't be put off by people swarming the tank. And in case the upkeep of this tank is more neglected than an in-home tank, cons are forgiving (to an extent) with water conditions.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I've keep breeding cons before so that might be a good option too.
Turns out the tank was only 40g but that's still a good size for a few cons.

The tanks is going to be in a science lab and I'm doing a career day at the school so I'll be able to teach a little about the fish and tank care.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.