Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 50 gallon (4 ft) tank that has been filled with a large variety of mbunas for about 2 years. most are adults, very large. it's overstocked and overfiltered, but still, aggression has become a major problem here recently.

i am thinking of trying something different (peacocks/haps). i don't know nearly as much about them as the mbuna because i've never kept them. so i have a few questions...

1) how many ADULTS could i do in this tank? i'm thinking of going with a very small number, like 4 or 5, at least to start. it is a very, very high possibility i'll be getting a 110 soon (4 feet in length, much taller and deeper). I WILL NOT BUY JUVENILE OR EVEN SMALL PEACOCKS. after having adult mbuna, i'm used to large fish. so keep that in mind.

2) how does their aggression compare to mbuna? i know they are more laid back but are they way less likely to fight and stress/kill eachother than my mbuna?

3) i'd prefer to do all males. the females are just bland (and cost money) and i'm not conerned about breeding. that and i don't want a ton of fish in there. will they still color up beautifully without females in the tank?

was at a local store yesterday that specializes in large peacocks and haps. i wish i knew the names of the ones i stared at for about a half hour. they were very large, like 7" or so. they were between $32 and $40 a fish. i just want a beautiful, peaceful tank.

i'd have to sell/rehome all my fish and hopefully get enough to buy a few peacocks. thoughts/ideas?

thanks very much for the help.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
1.) For starters, the number of adults depends on your stock list. Since you have a 50 gal tank, I wouldn't recommend multiple haps that get over 7". Most peacocks stay within the 6" mark so you're OK there. If you're looking for large adult peacocks, most are going to range in the 4-5" mark, so keep that in mind.

2.) Their aggression is minimal compared to mbuna. Out of all the peacocks, the Jakes tend to be on the more aggressive side. If you have peacocks that look very similar in appearance (or doubles), there is a heightened chance that they will harass the sub-dominant male.

3.) Yes, the males will still color up. Preferably, keep a single male of a different variety. Rule of thumb- no male should look similar in coloration. HOWEVER, if you want to go that route, it's best to go with multiples and avoid pairing. Actually there was a recent thread on this ---> http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=227116

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. my plan is to have each fish be very different from all the others, for example, one red, one blue, one yellow, etc. and to have about 5 or 6 total if that's a good idea.

·
Registered
363 Posts
If you're open to doing some small haps in addition to peacocks, I think it's easier to reduce aggression. Stick with 3-4 very different peacocks and you can add 6" max-size haps - most of the blue Copadichromis, smaller Lethrinops species, blue "follower" Placidochromis or most Otopharynx. There are exceptions in each of these genuses (C. borleyi, L. lethrinus, P. milomo, "torpedo" otopharynx), but there's a lot of species there that will make good peacock tankmates.

I would certainly avoid any haps that get any bigger than 7"-8" for the time being.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i sold/traded almost all my fish today. i got a nice sized blue hap, about 6" or so. it's in there with 2 yellow labs, 1 acei and my bumble bee, which is a big baby. so far everything is great. going to get my first peacock tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
They are less aggressive, but don't be fooled, they can still get nasty. Depends on what you are trying to keep together, but I don't think you have a lot of options in a 55 all male tank. Keep an open mind knowing you may have to do a little experimenting until you find species and individuals that work.

I second that Jakes are more aggressive, especially line bred or man made variations, such as eurekas or rebescens.

Also, in my experience, I usually get the best colors from my males when they are either raised with females or I purchase them colored up. If I buy a non-colored male and put him in the male tank he usually doesn't get much more color than when I bought him. However, if I buy a fully colored male, they intensify. It's weird. I have had a few males color up though, it's hit or miss. Plus, colored males provide instant satisfaction and I'm impatient.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Just an idea for thought, find your local fish wholesaler. Usually on Fridays or after work hours you can go in and catch your own fish for 10 percent the price. I got a Champ hap juvi plus tons of other peacocks all around 3" for $2 each. Added demasoni, blue dolphins and big lip haps to my grow out 50 all for $2.50 each. The local store sells them all around $20 each.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts