Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 golden ocellatus in 30" long tank, 1 female & 2 males. One of the males is extraordinarily aggressive.

The female seems to mostly avoid it, she's claimed a shell at one end and displays no aggression at all.

The dominant male seems to be on a search and destroy mission of the other. It's just constantly chasing it all over the tank, it'll find it in what ever shell it's hiding in, and violently evict it. Now this fish seems to have copped a significant injury to it's head which I'm treating with melafix. If the fish was in better shape I'd just return in to a shop but I can hardly return an injured fish.

What are my options?

Add another gold ocellatus female?
I've no other tank to isolate the victim, could maybe get a little breeder box to keep it separate until it's recuperated and then return it?

How on earth do people keep these in 10 gallon tanks!!!

·
Registered
9,069 Posts
Sounds like the male will not tolerate the second male. Best options with this tank... just have one male. Your goal I assume is to get a pair anyway. Don't think the tank is long enough to reasonably expect a second male to do fine.

·
Registered
449 Posts
TooManyChoices said:
I have 3 golden ocellatus in 30" long tank, 1 female & 2 males. One of the males is extraordinarily aggressive.

The female seems to mostly avoid it, she's claimed a shell at one end and displays no aggression at all.

The dominant male seems to be on a search and destroy mission of the other. It's just constantly chasing it all over the tank, it'll find it in what ever shell it's hiding in, and violently evict it. Now this fish seems to have copped a significant injury to it's head which I'm treating with melafix. If the fish was in better shape I'd just return in to a shop but I can hardly return an injured fish.

What are my options?

Add another gold ocellatus female?
I've no other tank to isolate the victim, could maybe get a little breeder box to keep it separate until it's recuperated and then return it?

How on earth do people keep these in 10 gallon tanks!!!
You could return the bully.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts